So I decided to work on the most perfect vegan roast “beef” for two reasons. One, I think it makes the most incredible main dish for the upcoming holidays. You can serve it with mashed potatoes and very easily transform the cooking liquid into a gravy. Two, I and many other people I have talked to recently have been missing an Arby’s Beef and Cheddar. So, I decided to conquer the roast beef portion and serve it with the mashed potatoes and gravy this week. Next week, I will be slicing the roast beef thin and serving it on an onion roll with an epic cheese sauce.
What You Need For This Seitan Roast Beef:
- Vital Wheat Gluten: This is the main base for the roast “beef.”
- Mushrooms and Garlic: You sauté these and then pulse them in a food processor to make the easy to mix into the seitan.
- Beet Powder: This is optional and just to give it a bit of color.
- Vegetable Broth, Apple Cider Vinegar, Maple Syrup, Tahini and Liquid Smoke: These are the liquids that get mixed into the dry to make the seitan.
- Mustard and Black Pepper: These are to coat the outside of the seitan and then sear it.
- Onions, Thyme and Rosemary: Mixed with vegetable broth these flavor the roast as it cooks.
This vegan roast “beef” is slightly more complicated than a lot of my other recipes. However, it is pretty foolproof. You just mix everything together, knead it for a minute and form into a roast shape. Then just braise for about 2 hours. I will also definitely stand by the fact that it is more than worth the effort. This roast is so freaking good and so versatile. It can be served with all kinds of things and you can make a bunch of different sandwiches with it too. This recipe makes a huge amount, so it is great for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or it stores well and you can keep it around to eat with different things all week.
Why Should You Make This delicious Roast?
- It is so comforting and delicious.
- A pretty easy seitan recipe.
- Perfect for the holidays.
- Great for roast “beef” sandwiches.
- This is a pretty hands off recipe, so you can sit back and relax.
Vegan Roast “Beef”
For The Roast "Beef"
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 8 Ounces Baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups Vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons Beet powder, divided(optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- 1 teaspoon Liquid smoke
For Coating the Roast "Beef"
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
For The Braising Liquid
- 3 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Sweet onions, quartered
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté, reducing heat as needed until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are beginning to brown. About 7 to 10 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- While the mushrooms and garlic sauté, add the vital wheat gluten, 1 teaspoon of beet powder, salt, onion powder and black pepper to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Once the mushrooms and garlic are cooked, add them to a food processor with the remaining 1 teaspoon of beet powder and pulse until very finely chopped. Almost a paste.
- Add the the mushrooms and garlic to a separate medium sized mixing bowl.
- Then add the vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, tahini and liquid smoke to the bowl with the mushrooms and garlic and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and start to stir.
- Once it becomes too difficult to stir, begin to knead with your hands and bring the seitan together.
- Once it forms a ball, turn the seitan out onto a surface that has been dusted with a little more vital wheat gluten. Knead for another minute, then form into a roast or loaf shape.
- Brush one side of the outside of the seitan roast with 1/2 the Dijon mustard and sprinkle with 1/2 the black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in the skillet you used for the mushrooms and then put the roast into the skillet. Sear one side of the roast for about 2 to 3 minutes or until it forms a golden brown crust.
- While one side sears, brush the other side with the rest of the Dijon and sprinkle with the rest of the pepper. Flip and sear the other side.
- Make the braising liquid. Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot that you have a cover for. Add the onions, thyme and rosemary.
- Put the seitan roast into the pot with the broth and kind of nestle it down into the broth. It should be a little more than half way covered by the broth.
- Cover and then roast in the oven for 1 hour. Flip the seitan the best you can, it will still be very soft, then cover again and roast for another 45 to 50 minutes or until the seitan is firm.
- It will firm up a bit more as it cools.
- Serve sliced thick with mashed potatoes and gravy or slice thin and make a sandwich with it!