In my book there is no better way to complete a comfort food dish or a holiday meal than with mashed potatoes. These vegan garlic chive cream cheese mashed potatoes do not disappoint! Super creamy, slightly tangy in a great way and the chives make them so bright and delicious. Homemade mashed potatoes are incredibly easy to make and these can be thrown together right before any meal!
Just boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, and then whip with all the other ingredients right in the pot. I love to use a hand mixer to make mashed potatoes, it is such a time saver! Just whip everything together with the beaters and you will get nice creamy mashed potatoes every time.
There are many great vegan cream cheese brands in stores now, I love Trader Joe’s brand. It is cheap and good if you have a Trader Joe’s. I also really like Kite Hill and Miyoko’s Kitchen. These should be fairly easy to find at most grocery stores. If you can’t find any of these brands, you should be able to find some kind, the world is ever expanding with vegan products. The cream cheese and chive combo is so dang good. A little indulgent, yes, but hey, these are for a special occasion!
You will without a doubt want these vegan mashed potatoes at all your holiday tables. If you don’t tell anyone they are vegan, I really doubt they will be able to guess! This recipe uses 3 pounds of potatoes so it will definitely feed a crowd. They are so yummy plain, with butter, or with a gravy!
Garlic Chive Cream Cheese Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 3 Pounds Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 8 Ounces Vegan cream cheese, I used Trader Joe's
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 Cup Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1/4 Cup Fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel(if you want, I like to leave the skins on) and dice the potatoes. Placing them in a pot of cool water. Add the garlic to the pot as well.
- Heat the pot of potatoes, garlic and water on medium high. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium so it is at a slight boil. Then boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender and can be mashed easily.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic and return them to the pot. Using a hand mixer or potato masher, start to mash the potatoes.
- Once most of them are mashed, add the cream cheese, butter and milk. Continue to whip everything together with the hand mixer or mash with the potato masher until the potatoes are completely smooth and everything is melted and incorporated into the potatoes.
- Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir and taste, then adjust seasonings.
- Add the chives and stir to combine. Serve with extra chives on top if you want!