Arby’s was one of my favorite places to eat when I was a kid. So as a nod to one of my childhood obsessions, I made a vegan “beef” and cheddar! Using my recipe for roast “beef” that I worked really hard to perfect, a red ranch and an easy vegan cheddar sauce, these are incredible. The onion rolls are a must have! Then just slather the thinly sliced roast “beef” in the cheese sauce and red ranch and you will find it hard not to prepare yourself another sandwich immediately.
What You Need To Make These “Beef” and Cheddars?
- Onion Rolls: If I can’t find them, I brush the tops of vegan rolls with olive oil and sprinkle dried onion on top and toast them.
- Ketchup, Apple Cider Vinegar, Agave, Garlic and Onion Powder: You need these to make the classic Arby’s Red Ranch sauce.
- Vegan Butter: I like to use Earth Balance.
- All Purpose Flour: To make a roux with the vegan butter to thicken the cheese sauce.
- Non-Dairy Milk and Vegan Cheddar Style Shreds: I like to use oat milk and Violife Cheddar.
- Seitan Roast “Beef”: The recipe for my perfect Vegan Roast “Beef” is what I use for these sandwiches!
So, once you make the vegan roast “beef,” you can make a vegan “beef” and cheddar in no time flat. Plus, the recipe for roast “beef” makes a huge amount and keeps in the fridge for one or two weeks, so you can slice off what you need and save the rest. Making these sandwiches is the best idea, but serving the roast “beef” hot with vegetable or mashed potatoes and gravy is a great idea too! I love just having the seitan in my fridge so I can add protein to all kinds of meals throughout the week.
Why Should You Make These Veganized Arby’s Sandwiches?
- They are truly incredible!
- The roast “beef,” red ranch, cheese sauce and onion rolls go together like nothing else.
- Comfort food at it’s finest.
- This recipe makes a lot and keeps well, so you can have sandwiches all week.
- If you used to be obsessed with Arby’s like I was, this one is for you.
Vegan “Beef” and Cheddar
Vegan Roast "Beef"
- 1 Recipe Vegan Roast "Beef"*
Red Ranch Sauce
Vegan Cheddar Sauce
For The "Beef" and Cheddar
- 8 Onion rolls
- Once you have made your roast "beef", let it cool and it will firm up as it cools.
- While the roast "beef" cools, make the sauces. Make the red ranch first. Add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, agave, garlic, onion, salt and pepper to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Make the vegan cheddar sauce. Heat the vegan butter on medium high in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk to combine, making a roux.
- Let the roux simmer for a minute, then pour in the non-dairy milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, making sure there are no lumps of roux left.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium low, let simmer, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheddar and continue whisking until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice the roast "beef" very thin. Then put together your sandwiches. Spread a little bit of the red ranch on the top and bottom of an onion roll, then lay as many sliced of the roast "beef" as you want on to the roll. Then drizzle with the cheese sauce. Then serve. This recipe makes a lot, you should be able to make at least 8 sandwiches.