Literally all the best things in one perfect pie!
Pecan pie is my favorite pie. I like apple, I like pumpkin, but I freaking LOVE pecan pie. I have been making a vegan version of pecan pie for the holidays for a while now. However, inspired by my love for this beautiful dessert, I decided to take it up a notch. Meet the vegan dark chocolate pretzel pecan pie. It is literally one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted.
Pretzel crust, then a mixture of pecans, pretzel pieces and dark chocolate chips in the normal pecan pie gooey delicious filling. It is majestic. Not only that, but it is so easy, I am pretty sure you could manage to make this pecan pie even if you have never baked before in your life.
One of my favorite things about this pie, besides the flavor, is that it is incredibly easy to make gluten free. The only gluten in this recipe are the pretzels. So, just switch it up and use gluten free pretzels, and BOOM! Literally no extra effort of trying to find the right recipe for a gluten free vegan pie crust.
This pie makes your whole house smell divine. The brown sugar creates a caramel like flavor and makes a caramel pretzel crust situation. Sweet and salty desserts are my favorite desserts. I don’t really love anything so sweet and rich that you feel like you can’t finish it. I think making desserts salty creates balance. So I can eat more, ya know!
I’m going to be honest here, I am not a huge fan of making pie crust rolling it out and trying to make it look perfect. This pretzel crust makes it so easy to make any pie super delicious, without letting everyone know you don’t really want to make a regular crust. Pretzel crust>regular crust anyways!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Pretzel Pecan Pie
- 2 C. Pretzel crumbs, gluten free or regular
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance, melted
- 6 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 9 Tbsp. Water
- 3/4 C. Corn syrup, light
- 2/3 C. Brown sugar
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 C. Pecans, roasted
- 1/3 C. Dark chocolate chips, vegan
- 1/3 C. Pretzels, crushed into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now make the crust, in a medium sized mixing bowl, add the pretzel crumbs and brown sugar. Stir. Now pour in the melted vegan butter. Stir together until fully combined, and the mixture holds together if you press it between your fingers.
- Now spray a pie pan(I used a 10 inch pan) with non stick spray and pour pretzel mixture into the pan. press into the pan evenly, making sure it is not too thick anywhere. Press the bottom with something hard like a measuring cup and then press up the sides.
- You will probably have extra that will fall off the sides, no worries, you can use that to fill in spots that aren't thick enough. (or just eat it?)
- Now make the filling. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the flax meal and water. Whisk together to make flax eggs. Let sit for a minute until it gets thick and gelatinous.
- Now add the corn syrup, brown sugar, melted vegan butter, vanilla and salt. Whisk to fully combine.
- Now stir in the pecans, chocolate chips, and pretzels pieces. Pour into the crust. You can at this point put a few more chocolate chips, pecans and pretzels on top to make it look nice.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. Or until filling is pretty firm. It will still be bubbly, and firm up a bit once it cools. Let cool, then serve with vegan whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream or just plain. Whatever floats your boat.