So, I hear that the Super Bowl is coming up? I don’t know, I hate football. Every year my husband and I come up with some kind of anti-super bowl party idea. However, we still make all the same food you would have at a football type gathering, just vegan, of course! Then we watch the Puppy Bowl or something! Now, I want to make sure you know, I am in no way saying you shouldn’t watch football, and I am well aware that I am part of the minority on this subject (especially living in a major college town), so this recipe will work really well even if you are going to actually watch sports!
Just because you watch football, it doesn’t mean you can’t stay vegan and have all the same amazing foods and flavors that go with a sporting event! You just have to get creative!! The basic Super Bowl party foods I feel like you need are chips and dips, wings, maybe jalapeno poppers. I decided to work on a vegan version of all of these, and this is where my spicy cheesy bean dip comes into play! It is so delicious, I had to stop myself from eating it all alone, in a dark corner, sobbing.
This recipe is about as easy as you can get. You are just blending ingredients in a blender, and then heating everything together in a skillet. The only thing you really need to think about is how spicy you want it! It is also rather healthy I am going to say. The base is raw cashews, there is no gluten and no refined sugar, and to make myself feel even better, I baked tortillas until they were crispy and ate the dip with those. You can make that happen with flour or corn tortillas, and with corn you can keep it completely gluten free!
I highly recommend making this super easy, low stress dip for your next sporting party! It tastes so cheesy, spicy and perfect. I promise that everyone will love this, and you can join me to continue the mission to make everyone a vegan(at least part time?). I hope you enjoy! As always, if you have any questions or feedback, I would love to hear it!
- 1 C. Cashews, raw (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 2/3 C. Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. Turmeric
- 2 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 2 tsp. Salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Can Black beans
- 1/2 Can Crushed tomatoes
- A few dashes of Hot sauce
- Green onion
- Tortilla chips
- Soak raw cashews for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- In a blender, add soaked cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, spices and lime juice. Blend on high until nice and creamy, this will take a few minutes.
- In a skillet, add the black beans, tomatoes, and a few dashes of hot sauce. Cook on medium high, and once the cheese sauce is ready, stir into the skillet with the black beans and tomatoes.
- Cook all together for 5-10 minutes on low heat until piping hot and creamy. Stirring every minute or so.
- Taste and adjust flavor to your liking, you can add more hot sauce or chili powder if you want it hotter, more lime for acid, and more salt if you need it!
- Top with cilantro and green onions and serve with tortilla chips!
- If you are having this at a party, and it gets cold after a while and starts to firm, you can throw it back on the stove and reheat! It tastes great reheated!