I am announcing the official start of soup, stew and chowder season! If you are anything like me, and compiling a list of soups to make this fall and winter, please add this one to the list. This vegan roasted mushroom and sausage chowder is such a treat! It is creamy, comforting, hearty and intensely delicious. Made with complete ease, you can roast mushrooms and potatoes at the same time as getting the chowder started. So, all you need to actively do is simmer the chowder and then pour the roasted mushrooms and potatoes into the pot. Lemon juice makes it a little brighter. Thyme makes it fragrant and perfect for fall!
What You Need For This Vegan Chowder:
- Mushrooms and Potatoes: I used a combination of baby bella mushrooms, shiitakes and oysters. I like to use Yukon gold potatoes.
- Olive Oil and Fresh Thyme: Tossed with the mushrooms and potatoes when roasting. Plus extra thyme to add to the chowder.
- Raw Cashews and Non-dairy Milk: The raw cashews are blended with some non-dairy milk to make a thick cream for the chowder. Plus extra non-dairy milk to add by its self.
- Vegan Sausage, Onions, Carrots and Garlic: These are sautéed together to start the chowder and brown the sausages.
- Vegetable Broth and Lemon Juice: Are added to the pot as the base for the chowder.
- Vegan Cream Cheese or Soft Cheese: I used Miyoko’s Classic Chive Creamy Cheese.
I realize there are already a good amount of carbs in this vegan roasted mushroom and sausage chowder. However, I HIGHLY recommend serving this chowder in a warm bread bowl. Tear off some pieces and use the top for dipping. I can’t think of a better way to spend a chilly evening. I bowl of this vegan chowder, some loved ones, a blanket and a good movie. That is my dream night!
Why Should You Make This Plant-Based Perfection?
- The smell alone of the thyme roasted mushrooms and potatoes is worth it!
- I keep picture serving this to my friends in a cozy fall cabin, and it feeds a crowd.
- This chowder is super easy to make and comes together quickly.
- It is so dang creamy, no one will know there isn’t heavy cream in it.
- Meat eaters and vegans alike will love this chowder!
Vegan Roasted Mushroom and Sausage Chowder
- 1 Pound(16oz.) Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Large Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh thyme, just the leaves
- 1 Cup Raw cashews, soaked*
- 2 Cups Non-dairy milk, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 1 Large Carrots, chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Vegan sausages, crumbled
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice, divided
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1/3 Cup Vegan cream cheese or soft cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Put the mushrooms and potatoes on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the thyme leaves and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Roast the vegetables for 10 minutes, toss and roast for about 10 to 12 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- In the meantime, start the chowder. First, make a cashew cream. Drain the cashews you soaked and add them to a blender. Add 1 cup of non-dairy milk to the blender and a pinch of salt and pepper as well.
- Blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed, until the cream is completely smooth. Set aside.
- Then, heat the vegan butter on medium high in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic to the pot. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the onion is translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the crumbled vegan sausage to the pot, if you are using sausages that have a casing, make sure to remove them.
- Break the sausages up into small chunks with a wooden spoon. Continue sautéing, until the sausage is brown and cooked through. About 5 to 6 minutes.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the pot, stir and scrape off any bits of sausage that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Then add the vegetable broth, the remaining 1 cup of non-dairy milk, the cashews cream you made, the remaining 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, the sprigs of thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine everything and let the chowder simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and discard.
- Add the vegan cream cheese and stir until it melts into the chowder.
- Once the mushrooms and potatoes are done, scoop them into the chowder and stir to combine.
- Now, taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt, pepper or lemon juice if needed.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread if desired.