Vegan Nutter Butters
I was a picky child. I was really only into peanut butter sandwiches(no jelly), bagel bites, and toaster waffles. I did however of course love super processed snacks. My favorite was Nutter Butters. They are amazing in every way. Crunchy, salty, sweet and peanut buttery. Peanut butter has remained the food of my dreams. Anything with peanut butter in it, and I melt into a puddle.
Making Nutter Butters vegan and super easy for any one to make at home seemed like the natural progression of what I am trying to do here. Which is make it possible for everyone to maintain a vegan lifestyle while never feeling limited or like they are craving some junk food they can’t have. You know, let’s be serious here for a minute, we all deserve a little treat now and then!
These delightful bite sized morsels are all I have ever dreamed of. A much healthier version of my childhood favorite, they just pop right in your mouth and are so scrumptious. They are only 10 ingredients total, including the filling, take about 20 minutes to complete, and make me feel much better about giving something like this to my daughter. Not a treat filled with chemicals, a treat filled with ingredients I can pronounce!
I threw these together very quickly, they only bake for 10 minutes. They cool really quickly and can be stuffed easily with the super simple filling. I had them ready for after school snack time, and so can you. You will probably be able to find all or most of the ingredients right in your pantry, and create a better alternative to the classic snack. You can even make them larger and skwoosh (is that a word?) them together in the center to make a peanut shape, but I wanted to make this the easiest recipe ever. So the little circles are still reminiscent of the peanut shape we loved, but no hassle!
- 1/2 C. Vegetable shortening
- 2/3 C. Sugar, organic
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 C. Peanut butter,natural
- 1/2 C. Quick cooking oats, processed into a flour
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Peanut butter, natural
- 3/4 C. Powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Graham cracker crumbs, vegan
- 1 Tbsp. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening and sugar.
- Make a flax egg, by whisking the flax and water together, set aside for a minute to thicken. Add the flax egg to the shortening and sugar, beat until combined.
- Add the peanut butter, oats that have been processed in to a flour, all purpose flour and salt. Beat until it all comes together and forms a nice ball.
- Roll teaspoon sized balls of dough in your hand until smooth and round. Place on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough has been used. Press down with the tines of a fork and cross over the other way with the fork.
- Bake at 325 for 8-10 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, make the filling. Whip all the ingredients together, and set aside.
- Let the cookies cool, then scoop about 1/4-1/2 tsp of filling onto one cookie and top with another.
- You may need two baking sheets for all the cookies.
- You can store these for a few days in an airtight container!
- If you don't have a food processor or you just don't feel like processing the oats, you can buy oat flour!