This is the best vegan meatloaf. Hands down. What makes it even better? Combining it with crispy shallots and sweet and spicy ketchup. All in adorable slider form. I have been super into sliders recently, so I wanted to make my own version. These vegan mushroom sliders with crispy shallots and sweet and spicy ketchup are amazing! They are the perfect spring get together food! This recipe makes enough sliders for sharing!
My mom was a big meatloaf maker when I was a kid. It was the eighties and early nineties, and meatloaf was a big deal. She tried all different flavors and meats, and I always really liked meatloaf night. My favorite part was the ketchup sauce on top. I loved the combination of the savory meatloaf with the sweetness of the ketchup concoction she always made. These sliders are very reminiscent of my mother’s meatloaf. Without of course, the meat.
These sliders are super easy, and can be thrown together pretty quickly. Making this a great weeknight or weekend meal. The best smells in the world happen while making this recipe. You first need to saute onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots with olive oil. It made my whole house smell amazing for hours.
Once the veggies are cooked, all you have to do is throw everything into a food processor and blend a bit. Then you can make your little slider sized patties! I found some great slider buns at the store that were vegan, so I hope it is not too difficult for you!
The crispy shallots take like all of two minutes as does the ketchup. Shallots simply dredged in corn starch and fried to a crisp, top these perfect mushroom meatloaf patties. Then slather the super easy sweet and spicy ketchup on your slider bun and you are ready for heaven. Maybe serve these bad boys with some crispy Baked Garlic Fries? Oh man, my mouth is watering. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Mushroom Meatloaf Sliders with Crispy Shallots
Mushroom Meatloaf Patties
- 1 1/2 lbs. Baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Carrots, chopped
- 1/3 C. Olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. Sage
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 C. Walnuts
- 1 1/2 C. Bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 C. Oats
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 2 Shallots, sliced
- 1/2 C. Corn starch
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Veggie oil for frying
Sweet and Spicy Ketchup
- 1/2 C. Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Red pepper flakes
For the sliders
- Slider buns
- Lettuce, optional
- Make the mushroom meatloaf first. Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pan on medium high. Add the garlic(you can just keep it whole if you want), carrots and onions. Saute for about 4-5 minutes stirring frequently until the onions become transparent.
- Reduce heat a bit, then add the mushrooms. You can add more olive oil at this point if you need it. Cook the mushrooms, stirring frequently. Season with the thyme, sage, liquid smoke and about 1/2 tsp. of salt and a dash of pepper. Cook until the liquid from the mushrooms has been cooked out. About 10 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms and veggies are cooked, add the mixture to a food processor, then mix the flax and water together in a small bowl to make flax eggs. Let it sit for a minute to thicken, then add the flax eggs, 1 cup of bread crumbs and the remaining meatloaf ingredients to a food processor. Process for a minute until all combined, but it has a bit of texture still. Taste and season, mine needed quite a bit more salt. Chill in the fridge or freezer for about 15 -20 minutes.
- While the meatloaf is chilling, make the ketchup by whisking all the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Once you are ready to make the patties, roll the meatloaf mix into small balls, then flatten out. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of bread crumbs on a plate and coat the outside of the patties with bread crumbs on both sides.
- Heat about 1-2 more Tbsp. of olive oil in a non stick pan, then cook the patties in the non stick pan for about 2-3 minutes on each side until nice and brown and firmed up a bit.
- While you are cooking the patties, start heating about an inch of veggie oil in a small pan. Then once you are done with the patties, place the corn starch in a bowl, then toss the sliced shallots in the corn starch. Shake off and fry for 2-3 minutes until nice and golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
- To put together, place a little ketchup on both sides of the bun and then a patty, then then crispy onions. Consume!