The best French Fries I have ever had are the Fries at Pommes Frites in New York City. There was a fire at the restaurant a few years ago, and they had to close without being able to say if and when they would reopen. I was devastated, of course, as any good foodie would be. However, they finally did reopen recently! Now if you know anything about me, you will know, I LOVE dipping sauces. They have like 50 different dipping sauces for the fries, and that is all they serve, French Fries and dipping sauces. Perfection.
So, Pommes Frites has a dipping sauce for the fries that is a wine, fig and sage mayo type situation. I always thought a wine mayo with some garlicky fries sounded amazing, and I love figs. I decided one day I would try to figure out how to veganize that, and maybe make fries that were a bit healthier. Also, I wanted to see how hard it was to make super crispy baked fries.
Thus, vegan fig and wine mayo was born, and hot damn, it is so good. Once I dipped these super garlic fries into this freakishly good condiment I created, my life was changed forever. It also turns out, you can get potatoes very crispy in the oven if you bake at a high temperature and cut them nice and thin. The mayo is also super easy to make, and can be made while the potatoes are in the oven.
The mayo is made with a wine reduction, and then has fig paste added. That is cooled and then whisked into some vegan mayo. Super simple, super delicious. The mayonnaise also needs a bit of salt and pepper to balance the sweetness, but you can season to taste. You can of course use any condiment you want. However, I definitely recommend this fig and wine mayo!
This is the perfect party food, the perfect side for any meal, or just a really freaking good dish all on it’s own! I absolutely love this recipe, and I hope you do too!
- 3-4 Large Russet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 10-12 Cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/3 C. Red wine
- 3 Tbsp. Fig paste
- 3/4 C. Vegan mayo, I used Follow Your Heart Vegenaise
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and cut the potatoes, slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut into thin slices, then cut those into small sticks.
- Place in a bowl and stir with olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper until fully coated. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, flipping half way through, baking until brown and crispy.
- While the fries are baking, make the sauce.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the wine to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the wine is reduced by half. Add the fig paste and whisk together.
- Let cook for another minute, then remove from heat and let cool completely, you can throw it in the fridge while the fries finish cooking.
- Once cooled, whisk together the fig and wine reduction with vegan mayo and salt and pepper.
- Once the fries are ready, serve immediately!