Kimchi is your friend.
Vegan kimchi quesadillas are better than all other quesadillas. Don’t get me wrong I love just a plain vegan cheese quesadilla or one just stuffed with refried beans for a quick snack. However if you give me hot and crispy tortillas filled with kimchi, tofu bulgogi and vegan cheese, I will choose that every. single. time. Such a quick and amazing meal, the tofu bulgogi only takes a few minutes to make, then you just spread everything on to a tortilla, top with another and pan fry.
This is truly the ultimate comfort food, that is actually pretty darn good for you. Kimchi is really darn good for you, it has some amazing health benefits. Protein from the super tasty tofu bulgogi, then just a bit of your favorite vegan cheese. Then whatever type of tortilla you like to use. You can go gluten free if you want. All of this healthy food is disguised as the best thing ever!
I love kimchi, it is so delicious on so many things. Check out my Korean “Fried” Tofu Tacos if you want some other ideas. I just would like to note that it can be tricky to find vegan kimchi. A lot of brands have fish in them. I really like King’s Kimchi. It is always at my local grocery store. So, you should be able to find some, just check the labels.
This recipe makes 2 large kimchi quesadillas, so you will definitely be able to share. They are great for a quick weeknight meal, or to share with friends when you want an easy and delicious appetizer for a party.
Vegan Kimchi Quesadillas
- 1/2 Block Extra firm tofu
- 1/4 C. White onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. Sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 1 Clove Garlic, grated
- 3 Tbsp. Apple, grated
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger, grated
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
- 4 Tortillas
- 1/3 C. Kimchi
- 1/3 C. Vegan cheese shreds, I used Follow Your Heart
- Oil for cooking quesadilla
- First, press the tofu. Place on some paper towels, then put more paper towels on top. Then put something heavy on top of the tofu. Press for at lest 15 minutes, but the longer the better.
- When the tofu is ready, heat the sesame oil on medium high in a non stick pan.
- Now, crumble the tofu into the pan. Saute for a minute or two until it starts to get brown. Then add in the chopped onion. Continue to saute until the tofu is brown and the onion is translucent. This will take a 3-4 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking, make the sauce for the tofu. Whisk together the soy sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, grated garlic, grated apple, grated ginger and black pepper.
- Once the tofu is nice and brown, pour the sauce into the pan. Stir to coat, then cook for another minute or two until the sauce thickens and coats the tofu. Remove from heat.
- Then, take two tortillas, sprinkle one side with vegan cheese, then spread half the kimchi around, then spread half the tofu around. Top with more cheese and then another tortilla.
- Next, heat the oil for cooking on medium high in a non stick pan, then place the quesadilla in the pan. Brown on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown the other side. Press down and make sure the vegan cheese has melted.
- When done, remove from the pan, and repeat with the remaining ingredients to make the second quesadilla. Cut and serve immediately.