The BEST tacos EVER. Seriously. The Best.
This Korean “fried” tofu is the crispiest tofu I have ever had. Not only that, it is actually not fried at all, but baked and still, crispy AF. These vegan Korean fried tofu tacos are my new favorite taco. Spicy, crispy, delicious and actually pretty dang good for you. Also, did I mention the crispiest tofu happens to also be gluten free? It is, you can have the best vegan and gluten free tacos ever by just using corn tortillas!
This recipe is also incredibly easy. All you need to do is marinate, coat and bake the tofu. That’s it. Fill tortillas with Korean crisp AF tofu, top with kimchi, cilantro and some banging Gochujang mayo. The Gochujang mayo is just whisked together in 2 seconds and is only 3 ingredients.
The combination of Korean tofu, kimchi and Gochujang mayo is eye rollingly amazing. I know I have a winner when I exclaim “OH.MY.GOD.” Even when no one is around to hear me. That means is is damn delicious. The perfect way to switch up your boring vegan tacos. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good bean taco, but one does like to switch it up for something slightly more exciting every now and then!
The marinade for the tofu is super simple and super flavorful! You can find Gochujang pretty easily. I saw some at my local grocery store(Publix) in the Asian section, also at Whole Foods, and I ultimately bought some at the Asian market near me. If you do have an Asian market, it is usually cheaper there. However, if you don’t, you should still be able to find some. It is super fragrant, and super yummy!
I don’t think it is possible to not like these Korean “fried” tofu tacos. They are perfect! Give them a try, you won’t regret it!
Vegan Korean "Fried" Tofu Tacos
Korean "Fried" Tofu
- 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 C. Almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1 tsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Gochujang paste
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 2 tsp. Agave
- 1 C. Corn starch
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- 2 1/2 C. Corn flakes, crushed
- 1/2 C. Vegan mayo
- 1 tsp. Gochujang paste
- 2 tsp. Rice wine vinegar
For the Tacos
- 6-8 Tortillas
- Drain the tofu, place on paper towels and press a bit of the liquid out. Now cut the tofu into cubes.
- Now, in a large bowl, make a marinade. Add the almond milk and rice wine vinegar. Whisk. Let sit for a minute. Now whisk in the gochujang paste, soy sauce and agave.
- Now add the tofu cubes to the marinade. Try fully cover the tofu in the marinade. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Stirring every once in a while to make sure all the tofu soaks up the marinade.
- Now preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Then coat the tofu. In one bowl add the crushed corn flakes. In another bowl add the corn starch, salt and chili powder. Whisk together.
- Now take a piece of tofu, dredge in the corn starch, dip back into the marinade coating completely. Then toss in the corn flakes coating completely. Place onto a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Repeat until all the tofu is coated. Then spray the tops of the tofu with non stick spray.
- Bake the tofu for 30 minutes. Flipping halfway through.
- While the tofu is baking make the gochujang mayo. Whisk together the vegan mayo, gochujang and rice wine vinegar.
- Once the tofu is done, take a tortilla, stuff with tofu, kimchi and cilantro, then top with gochujang mayo and maybe sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately. They are good.