My husband loves fried pickles. He calls himself a connoisseur of fried pickles, and tries them everywhere we go. He has given them bad reviews, good, and excellent. I wanted to top them all though, and make the most delicious fried pickles he has ever had, that just happen to be vegan. He hates fried pickle spears, and I can understand this. To get maximum crunch, your really need the a chip, it is thin and you can get the ultimate amount of batter on them. So they had to be dill chips! These vegan fried pickles with Mississippi comeback sauce are his favorite fried pickles thus far.
So, let’s talk about the sauce. This sauce that is so incredibly perfect for these pickles! It was originally made as a salad dressing in Mississippi. Yes, I know, heavy salad right? However, once veganized, it makes the perfect dip for fried foods! It is so simple, and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand. At least, all these ingredients are staples in my house.
I have seen a lot of aquafaba used recently to batter and fry things, but I love using almond milk thickened with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar! I think it is really easy, and creates the perfect texture for whatever is being fried. Did I mention how crispy these pickles were?
The perfect party food, or appetizer for any occasion. Or meal? Who am I to judge? These are fried pickles are amazing! They are ready in just 10 or 15 minutes, and believe me, no one will know they are vegan. That will not even cross anyone’s mind.
What kind of fried pickles are you into? Do you prefer the spears or the chips? I guess that is the great debate. I really think the chips are a better choice, but if you disagree, feel free to use the spears, they probably will just need to cook a bit longer, but should work exactly the same! I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Fried Pickles with Mississippi Comeback Sauce
For the Pickles
- 3 C. Dill pickle chips
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Salt + extra for topping
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- Oil for frying
Mississippi Comeback Sauce
- 1/2 C. Vegan Mayo
- 1 Tbsp. Hot sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 tsp. Soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- Place the pickles on some paper towels, and top with more towels, and press down to dry them a bit.
- Begin heating about 1/2 an inch of oil in a pan on medium high. Reduce heat if needed.
- In a medium sized bowl add the almond milk and lemon juice, and stir. Let sit for a minute to thicken. In a separate bowl, add the flour, salt, cayenne and paprika. Stir.
- Place the pickles into the flour mixture, dredge and shake off the extra. Dip into the almond milk mixture, then dip back into the flour. Shake off the extra flour again. Repeat with all the pickles.
- Once the oil is hot, fry the pickles in small batches for a minute or two on each side. Until nice and golden brown, You can reduce the heat of the oil if it starts to get too hot. Adjust as needed.
- Once the pickles are done, place on a paper towel, and sprinkle with more salt.
- Make the sauce, whisk all the sauce ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Serve immediately! Dip and devour!