Fall sausages for all your Autumnal breakfast needs.
Guys, I officially have some cool weather here in north Florida! I’m pumped and have literally been skipping while walking my kid to school for the past few days. So, now seemed like a perfect time to throw down these vegan fennel and apple breakfast sausages! They are easy, gluten free, and only take about 10-15 minutes to whip up! Plus, you can just form the patties and refrigerate or freeze for later. Perfect for meal prep!
On top of all that goodness, they taste like fall! First, you saute the apples and fennel together, just until they are soft and have a bit of a caramelized color. Then you puree the apples and fennel until they are almost paste like. This helps bind the tempeh without using any bread crumbs or anything. Also helping to keep these breakfast sausages low calorie!
Then you just add some sage, the tempeh and some liquid smoke to give it a “sausagey” flavor. Process until it comes together, then form into ball flatten and then pan fry! This makes about 8-10 sausages, so you can definitely save some for later. I love to have them on hand, and in fact made a breakfast sandwich with them yesterday!
This is also a great base that you can use and change up the flavors for any season. They would be delicious with mushrooms and cranberries for winter. Or anything your heart desires. Maybe some figs? Fall breakfast and brunches need these quick, delicious, and healthy breakfast sausages! I will never go through another fall without the amazing flavor of fennel, apple and sage in sausage form! The smell of them cooking makes me want to run out to the pumpkin patch with a pumpkin spice latte and a nice sweater!
Vegan Fennel and Apple Breakfast Sausages
- 8 oz. Tempeh
- 1 Apple, chopped
- 1/2 C. Fennel, chopped
- 2 Leaves Sage, fresh
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- pinch Black pepper
- In a cast iron skillet or non stick pan, heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil on medium high, then add the apples and fennel. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until the apples and fennel are soft and a bit brown. Season with a pinch of salt. Remove from heat.
- Add the apples and fennel to a food processor. Process on high for a minute or 2 scraping down the sides as needed until the apples and fennel form almost a paste like consistency with a little texture left.
- Now add in the tempeh, sage, liquid smoke and salt and pepper. Process for a few more minutes, scraping down as needed until the mixture starts to come together and can easily be held together in a ball. If it doesn't hold together, continue to process.
- Once the mixture is ready. Form into patties by rolling into small balls, then flatten. You can at this point cover and place them in the fridge, or cook them right away.
- When ready, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan. Place each sausage patty into the pan. Cook on each side for 1-3 minutes or until brown and cooked through. Serve!