For the past decade I have either lived in New York City or visited every few months. Whilst I’m stuck inside, and can’t visit any of my favorite places, I decided to create a few tributes to those places. This vegan everything bagel pasta is so creamy, and like nothing I’ve ever tasted before. In the most incredible way. This pasta sauce starts with a sauteed onion and a bechamel sauce that you melt vegan cream cheese into. Then you stir in the everything bagel seasoning. Toss with your favorite pasta, top with more everything bagel seasoning. Then chives if you desire.
By sauteing the onion and using that to make the bechamel sauce, it really gives this pasta an everything-bagel-with-onion-chive-cream-cheese feel. That is hands down my favorite combo. This pasta is so darn good, you will probably be tempted to eat seconds or even thirds. Or just do what I do and continuously walk by the pot and take a bite every time you pass until you really have eaten a whole second bowl, but you really don’t want to admit that to yourself.
This vegan everything bagel pasta takes about 15 minutes to throw together, making it a perfect dinner for when you absolutely don’t feel like cooking. Because frankly, this is barely cooking. The sauce is done in less than the time it takes to make the pasta. Everyone loves this dish, even my daughter. Who is the self-described queen of bagels. She always gets everything bagels with plain cream cheese, so she likes to leave off the chives.
8 ingredients will make you this very decadent nod to New York, and I don’t think you’ll regret it. My one huge recommendation would have to be to make sure you are using a vegan cream cheese you really like. You will taste it in the sauce, so make sure it is one you like to eat on it’s own. My favorites are:
- Miyoko’s Kitchen
- Kite Hill
Vegan Everything Bagel Pasta
- 12 Ounces Pasta, I used linguine
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance(divided)
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used soy milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegan cream cheese, I used Kite Hill
- 2 teaspoons Everything bagel seasoning, + more for garnish homemade or store bought*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Green onions or chives for topping(optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain when done.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegan butter on medium high. Once the butter has melted, add the diced onion to the skillet.
- Saute the onion, reducing heat as needed for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Once it has melted, stir the flour into the butter and onions to make a roux(paste).
- Cook for a minute, then whisk the non-dairy milk into the onion roux. Whisk until it is fully combined and there are no lumps of flour left. Let simmer for a minute or 2 until it starts to thicken.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, then add the vegan cream cheese. Stir the cream cheese into the sauce until it has melted and is fully combined. The sauce should be smooth.
- Next, add the everything bagel seasoning, stir to combine and then turn the heat off.
- When the pasta is done, return it to the pot you cooked it in and pour the sauce over the pasta. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve with more everything bagel seasoning on top and green onions or chives if desired.