I like buffalo ANYTHING and I can just tell that you feel the same way. So, get ready for the perfect summertime salad. What makes it perfect? You have a cold, crisp salad with a warm, comforting tofu. And it is EASY. Basically, you’re breading the tofu, and the baking it. Even the creamy ranch dressing is fast and requires no cooking. Voila, you’ve got vegan crispy buffalo tofu salad.
Enjoy this dish as a delightful lunch, or a delicious entree. I sprinkled on some vegan feta by VioLife but feel free to use whatever you like. The buffalo sauce is a quick and easy mild sauce.
The tofu is super crispy, like it’s fried, but it’s baked so the oil is cut by quite a bit. Baking tofu also firms the inside while leaving the outside nice and crispy. This is my favorite way to make tofu, it is one of the only ways I make tofu now. Just baked in the oven, either coated or not. You don’t have to worry about it sticking to the pan and you never have to worry about a squishy texture. Baking at a high temperature for 20-30 minutes makes tofu perfect every single time! It never fails!
First, press the tofu. While pressing, I whipped up the creamy ranch dressing. It took a whopping two minutes. Once the tofu is pressed, preheat the oven. While preheating I breaded the tofu and baked. While that was in the oven and gathered my salad items. When tofu was done baking, I pulled it out, sliced it up and added to the salad. Boom, the perfect vegan crispy buffalo tofu salad. My blog manager was here to taste test this dish and couldn’t get enough. She LOVED it. I know that you’ll love it too!
Vegan Crispy Buffalo Tofu Salad
Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Vegan sour cream, I used Follow your heart
- 1/4 Cup Vegan mayo, I used Hellman's
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Pinch of Black pepper
- dash of Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh chives, chopped
Crispy Buffalo Tofu
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 4 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 4 Tablespoons Hot sauce
- 1/2 Cup Panko bread crumbs, vegan
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Dried chives
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
For the Salad
- 1 head Bibb lettuce or any large leaf lettuce
- 1 Carrots, chopped
- Any other veggies you may want
- Vegan feta, I used Violife (optional)
- Press the tofu first. While pressing the tofu, make the vegan ranch dressing. In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the vegan sour cream, vegan mayo, lemon juice and garlic. Then add all the dry spices and the hot sauce, stir to combine. Fold in the chives and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Once the tofu is done being pressed, slice the block of tofu through the side so you have two thin squares. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Now, melt the vegan butter, either on your stove on low just until melted, or in the microwave just for about 30 seconds. Or until fully melted. Whisk the hot sauce into the melted butter. Add half to a medium sized mixing bowl. Reserving the rest for later.
- Taking two more medium sized mixing bowls, add the panko, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, chives, cayenne and salt to one bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour to the other bowl.
- Taking one slice of tofu, add it to the bowl with the flour, dredge in the flour, coating completely. Shake off any excess.
- Put the tofu into the bowl with the buffalo sauce. Coat completely to make it wet.
- Then put in the bowl with the panko and press the panko onto the tofu to coat completely.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and place the tofu on to the baking sheet and repeat with the other piece of tofu.
- Spray the tops of the tofu with more non-stick spray. Then bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the tofu is brown and firm and crispy.
- Brush the tofu on both sides with the reserved buffalo sauce and let cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve on top of a bed of lettuce with your favorite veggies. Top with the vegan ranch you made.