I am obsessed with buffalo tofu sandwiches, and I finally decided everyone else should join me! Nothing is better than a vegan garlic buffalo tofu sandwich. This delicious tofu is baked not fried, but still so, so crispy. Tossed in a homemade vegan garlic butter buffalo sauce. Served with some sweet quick pickles and vegan blue cheese. You make wake up craving one of these babies. Like immediately after eating one the night before. Luckily, this recipe makes enough for 4-6 sandwiches, so you can always save leftovers!
The tofu is breaded in flour and panko, giving it the crispiest crust in town. Even after being dunked in the buffalo sauce, the tofu stays nice and crisp. The pickles are super easy to make, just slice a nice English cucumber thin, then pour a very simple sweet pickling liquid over them. Then allow them to sit while you prepare everything else. The blue cheese takes just a few minutes to throw together, or you can use your favorite store bought brand.
All together the combination that makes up this vegan garlic buffalo tofu sandwich is so freaking incredible. I can’t get enough of them and they have become a standard lunch in my house. I thought for a long time maybe this recipe was too boring to post. Then I realized, I have always had a unique spin on it. Like all of my other recipes. These sweet pickles, this buffalo sauce, the blue cheese. All so so so good.
So here I give to the world my vegan garlic buffalo tofu sandwich. May it make all of you as happy as it makes me. May it bring you many yummy meal times. My daughter doesn’t love the buffalo sauce, it is far too spicy for her. As she thinks everything is spicy. However, I just leave some of the crispy tofu plain and make her a sandwich with that and that goes over real well!
Vegan Garlic Buffalo Tofu Sandwich
Sweet Quick Pickles
- 1/2 an English cucumber, sliced thin (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Organic cane sugar
- 1/3 Cup White vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
Garlic Buffalo Tofu
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk, I used oat milk
- 1 Tablespoon White vinegar
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Panko bread crumbs, vegan
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan butter, divided
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Bottle(12oz.) Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
For The Sandwiches
- 6 Buns
- Romaine lettuce
- Vegan Blue cheese, HOMEMADE* or store bought
- First, make the sweet quick pickles. Thinly slice the cucumber and put them in a heat proof bowl.
- Now in a small sauce pan, heat the water, sugar and salt on medium high. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Stir just until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Then add the vinegar to the sauce pan stir, and then pour over the cucumbers. Let them sit in the pickling liquid while you press and bake the tofu.
- Now, press the tofu* and then slice the block into 1/2-1/4 inch thick slices and cut those slices diagonally so you have triangles.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees(F.)
- Next, take 3 medium sized mixing bowls, in the first bowl, add the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Whisk and set aside. In the second bowl add the flour and salt. Whisk and set aside. In the third bowl, add the panko.
- Taking a few pieces of tofu at a time, put them in the flour first and coat completely. Shake off any excess. Then put the tofu into the milk mixture. Making sure they are completely wet. Then place the tofu into the panko. Pressing the bread crumbs onto the tofu to coat completely.
- Place each piece of tofu onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray. Then repeat with all of the tofu.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for another 15 minutes or until brown and crunchy.
- After you flip the tofu, make the garlic buffalo sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegan butter in a medium sized sauce pan on medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes just to cook the garlic.
- Then add the hot sauce, remaining vegan butter and agave. Stir until the butter has melted and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat, but leave on the stove.
- Once the tofu is done, place a few pieces of the tofu into the pan with the buffalo sauce at a time, and toss to coat. Remove the tofu and place back on the sheet pan and repeat until all the tofu is coated in sauce.
- Assemble the sandwiches by taking a bun and spreading extra buffalo sauce on the bottom bun, spreading vegan blue cheese on the top bun. Put a few pieces of tofu on the bottom bun and top that with sweet quick pickles and lettuce. Sandwich together and serve! This recipe makes 4-6 sandwiches!