Vegan butter lentils and potatoes were inspired by the traditional Indian dish butter chicken. Veganized and made so much easier. This hearty, healthy dish is definitely a keeper. Serve with some basmati rice and maybe some naan. This stuff is addictive. It would be hard to mess up, even if you have never cooked Indian food. I tried to make it as simple as possible!
Usually, Indian butter dishes are a little more time consuming. You cook whole spices and whole tomatoes and then puree them in a blender. However, to make this way easier, I used regular dry, crushed spices and tomato sauce. This makes this a faster, one pot meal. With way less to clean up. Which is usually my goal!
Vegan butter lentils and potatoes are so flavorful and fragrant. All of the spices with tomato and coconut milk, it is something I crave all the time. Healthy, all kinds of protein and super filling!
Just saute potatoes first, I used adorable itty bitty potatoes, with garlic and ginger. Then add lentils and saute. Then all you need to do is add all the spices, tomato sauce, veggie broth and coconut milk. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. That’s it! Soooo delicious! Serve over rice for a perfectly balanced gluten-free and of course plant based meal.
Vegan Butter Lentils and Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoon Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance (divided)
- 2 Cups Potatoes, diced ( I used baby potatoes)
- 1 Cup Cooked brown lentils
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Shallots, diced
- 1 Can(15oz.) Tomato sauce
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1/2 Cup Coconut milk
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cardamom
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of vegan butter on medium high. Then add the diced potatoes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute the potatoes, reducing heat as needed until they are starting to brown and have softened a bit. About 5-7 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining 1/4 cup of vegan butter, the lentils, garlic, ginger and shallots. Saute for another minute or so until the shallots are translucent.
- Now, add the tomato sauce, vegetable broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, all the spices and the agave. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are soft and cooked through. The sauce will get nice and thick.
- Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately over basmati rice. I topped mine with chutney and parsley.