Jump on this gravy train.
Vegan biscuits and shiitake mushroom gravy is your new favorite breakfast. It is definitely mine. The fluffiest, tallest, flakiest, butteriest, vegan biscuits of all time. They are so freaking easy too! Top those perfect biscuits with creamy, dreamy white gravy with garlicky shiitakes. I’m not sure there is a better way to start the day!
This recipe is for a small batch of biscuits, it makes about 6 biscuits. Which is perfect for a small family breakfast, but if you are looking to feed a bunch of people, it would be very easy to double the biscuit recipe.
Let’s talk about this gravy. I am in love. Classic roux thickened white gravy, made with vegan butter and non dairy milk. Seasoned very simply with a bit of salt and pepper and an optional pinch of cayenne. That is mixed with sauteed garlic and shiitakes for the absolute best white gravy I have ever had.
Make these vegan biscuits and shiitake mushroom gravy for your friends and family, even the ones that are very skeptical of your vegan life choice. This is the kind of recipe that will convert people! Steamy, buttery biscuits. Smothered in this life changing shiitake mushroom gravy. It will knock your socks off!
Vegan Biscuits and Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Tablespoons Vegan butter(cold), I used Earth Balance
- 1 Cup Non dairy milk, I used almond milk
- 1 Teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 8 Ounces Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter
- 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 2 Cups Non dairy milk
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make the biscuit dough first. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Then stir in the sugar and salt.
- Then, whisk together the non dairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside to let it thicken.(don't add it yet)
- Next, cut the butter or break it up into small pieces and add the pieces of the cold vegan butter to the dry ingredients. Now, using a pastry cutter or fork, press the cold butter in to the flour(cut it in) until it looks crumbly.
- Then, pour the non dairy milk/apple cider vinegar mixture into the biscuit mixture. Stir to fully combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, put a bit more flour on top of the dough. The dough will be a bit sticky, so add as much flour as you need so it isn't sticking to anything.
- Fold the dough over a few times and press it out so that is is about a 1 1/2 inches-2 inches tall rectangle. Now, let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- When ready, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Fold the dough over one more time, adding additional flour if needed. Press back out to a 1 1/2-2 inches tall rectangle. Then cut the dough into circles, however large you want them. Any excess dough can be reshaped and cut into another biscuit.
- Place each biscuit on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. I like to put them right up against each other, it helps them rise.
- Bake the biscuits at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Or until golden brown. I like to brush the tops with more vegan butter to help them brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the gravy. Heat the olive oil in a large non stick or cast iron skillet on medium high. Add the chopped garlic and sliced shiitakes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute the mushrooms, for 5-10 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now, in that skillet, reduce heat to medium, melt the vegan butter, then whisk in the flour to form a paste(roux).
- Then, whisk in the non dairy milk until the roux is completely incorporated and there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat as needed. It will start to thicken. Continue to whisk. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne.
- Once the gravy is nice and thick, this will only take a minute or two. Add the sauteed mushrooms and garlic into the gravy. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the biscuits and gravy are done, cut open a biscuit on a plate and top with the gravy. Serve immediately!