Were you ever a super sweaty kid, running around outside in the summer, waiting for a lunch of peanut butter sandwiches and a bag of chips to be brought outside? Well, I was. My favorite really unhealthy snack? Sour cream and onion potato chips! I would kill a whole bag after burning so many calories playing all day that it really didn’t matter. Well, that is totally not the case anymore, what I eat definitely matters now. For so many reasons. Not only do the gazillions of chemicals in processed food effect me negatively, but the grease that comes off of fried foods makes me sick to my stomach for days. I have a very sensitive tummy!
Since I was a teenager and I decided to start checking out the ingredients on the back of packages, since then, I have had a hard time downing chips in good conscience. Check it out, regular potato chips have like a thousand ingredients. Why? Why I ask you? Not only do they have ingredients that are terrible for you, flavors you think should be vegan are not. I have found many salt and pepper and salt and vinegar chips that contain milk. Why? Why I ask you?
I decided to take on the this world of very unhealthy chips, and try to make something that reminds me of my childhood favorite, that I can feel good about eating, and I can feel good about giving to my daughter. I found some recipes for homemade sour cream and onion chips that were not vegan, and were still fried. So I adapted several of these recipes I found and made something so totally addictive, so crispy and crunchy and salty, that tastes so much like regular sour cream and onion chips it is scary!
This recipe is so insanely easy, you are just slicing, tossing in some spices and baking. It really doesn’t get any easier than that! I used a mandoline to slice the potatoes super thin so they get extra awesomely crispy! However, if you don’t own one, you can slice them really thin with a knife, it is just a little more work. I also definitely recommend not skipping the step of processing the spices together in the food processor, it makes it much easier to coat the potatoes evenly. I hope you love these as much as I do! Adapted from The Food Network.
Vegan Baked Sour Cream and Onion Potato Chips
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 4
- Category: Snack
- 4 c Potatoes, sliced very thin
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3 tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. Onion powder
- 1 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a mandoline if possible, or a knife if you don’t have a mandoline, slice potatoes super thin. About 1/16th of an inch thick. I used about 5 small potatoes to get 4 cups.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and pour oil on top, toss to coat all of the potatoes in oil.
- In a food processor, place all the spices except the chives. Pulse until the nutritional yeast is nice an fine. Pour seasoning mix on top of potatoes and stir to coat all of the potatoes thoroughly.
- Chop chives very fine and sprinkle on top, stirring once more to make sure chives are on all the potatoes.
- On a prepared baking sheet, place the chips in a single layer, do not overlap them. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until crispy and brown. They will burn fast, so watch them towards the end!