I wanted to give you guys one more Thanksgiving recipe and so I brainstormed about what everyone might need. This sweet potato and sausage vegan flatbread is the perfect last minute appetizer! The flatbread dough is so simple and easy, made with no yeast and mostly things that are in your pantry. So, if you forgot you needed one more appetizer and people are coming over, the store is closed, and you don’t know what to do. Make this flatbread. The dough in one bowl, takes 5 minutes to throw together, and then just needs to rest for about an hour or so. Then you can work on other things while it rests. Throw it together and then put it in the oven!
What You Need For This Very Festive Flatbread:
- Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Sugar: These are the flatbread dry ingredients.
- Non-dairy Milk and Vegan Sour Cream or Vegan Yogurt: I like to use oat milk and Forager vegan sour cream for the flatbread dough.
- Vegan Sausage: I like to use Impossible Sausage that comes in a tube. Then you can just break it up into chunks.
- Garlic and Onion: You sauté these with the sausage.
- Sweet Potato: You need to slice it very, very thinly. I use a mandolin for this task.
- Chili Crisp Oil: I am obsessed with chili crisp and this is the base for the flatbread.
- Vegan Mozzarella and Vegan Parmesan: I like Miyokos Creamery, Follow Your Heart and Violife.
I really love this combination of sweet potatoes and sausage on this vegan flatbread. Chili crisp is spooned and brushed onto the flatbread dough. Then it is topped with the vegan sausage and the thinly sliced sweet potatoes. On top of that goes vegan mozzarella and Parmesan. Once the flatbread comes out of the oven I top them with chili crisp agave. It is incredible and tastes like Thanksgiving. However, the ease of the flatbread is what I want to focus on here. So, if you have anything lying around that you want to put on the flatbread, do it!
Why Should You Make This Fall Inspired Flatbread?
- It is delicious. The combination of sweet potatoes, sausage, chili crisp and agave is unmatched!
- The vegan flatbread dough is as easy as it gets. Save this recipe for all your flatbread needs.
- If you forgot you needed an appetizer for all the hungry people waiting while you finish dinner, throw this together, no store trip needed.
- If you love a bit of spice this is for you!
- But customize it and make it mild if you want.
Sweet Potato and Sausage Vegan Flatbread
Vegan Flatbread Dough
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 6 Ounces Vegan sausage, crumbled
- 1 Small Sweet potato, sliced very thinly
- 2 Tablespoons Chili crisp oil, I used Laoganma Spicy Chili Crisp
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mozzarella, I used Violife
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- Make the flatbread dough. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then pour the non-dairy milk and vegan sour cream or yogurt into the well.
- Begin to stir together until the ingredients are too hard to stir. Then start to knead with your hands.
- Knead for 2 to 3 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky and forms a ball.
- Let the dough rest on the counter, covered with a kitchen towel for 1 to 2 hours.
- While the dough rests, make the toppings. Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté, reducing heat as needed until the onion becomes translucent. About 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the sausage to the skillet and break up into pieces with a wooden spoon. Sauté until the sausage is brown and cooked through. About 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the heat off and just let the sausage, garlic and onions to sit on the stove until ready to make the flatbread.
- Slice the sweet potato very thinly, using a mandolin if you have one.
- When you are ready to make the flatbreads, preheat the oven to 450 degrees(F).
- Cut the flatbread dough ball in half, then take one half at a time, roll each half out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick in any shape you want.
- Place both of the flatbreads on a large sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray. You should be able to fit them both on the same sheet pan.
- Brush each flatbread with about 1 tablespoon of chili crisp. Then top each with about 1/4 cup of vegan mozzarella. Top that with slices of sweet potato, then top each with half the cooked sausage, garlic and onions, then top that with about 2 tablespoons of vegan Parmesan on each.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the flatbread is golden brown and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Drizzle the tops of the flatbreads with agave syrup or mix a bit extra chili crisp in with the agave and drizzle that over the top.
- Cut into pieces with a pizza cutter and serve.