I love making fresh pasta, filled pastas and creamy sauces. So, in the interest of making myself as happy as can be, I made these garlic ricotta vegan tortellini. Served with a creamy vegan Parmesan sauce, these tortellini are filled with tofu ricotta. Flavored with garlic and lemon zest. The sauce is also made a little extra special with some lemon zest! The fresh pasta is incredibly simple and can be rolled out with or without a pasta roller. You can use a regular rolling pin. Then cut into circles and create cute little half moons and then these adorable tortellini.
What You Need For These Adorable Vegan Cheese Tortellini:
- All purpose Flour: This is the base for your pasta.
- Olive Oil: For the pasta, along with salt and water. That is all you need.
- Tofu: To create your ricotta.
- Nutritional Yeast: To give it that cheesy flavor.
- Garlic, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Salt and Pepper: To give your homemade vegan ricotta great flavor.
- Vegan Butter and Flour: These make a roux to thicken your creamy sauce.
- Non-dairy Milk: I used oat milk to make my sauce, but you can use any kind you want.
- Vegan Parmesan: I used Follow Your Heart brand.
This recipe for garlic ricotta vegan tortellini is a great base recipe to create all kinds of things. Serve with any sauce, season the ricotta in different ways, or create a delicious soup! I happen to have a tortellini soup next week using this recipe. They are so delicious, you won’t want to take your last bite. I am legit sad whenever I eat the last one in my bowl.
Why Should You Make This Pasta?
- It is so fun to make.
- Super simple, but very fancy.
- These tortellini are absolutely delicious.
- They can be served with your favorite sauce, creamy, tomato based or pesto are all great!
- Everyone will fall madly in love with you after tasting these tortellini.
1.2. 3. 4.
Garlic Ricotta Vegan Tortellini
- 2 1/4 Cups All purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 3/4 Cup Water
Vegan Garlic Ricotta
- 1/2 Block(about 8oz.) Extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest
Creamy Vegan Parmesan Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon zest, optional
- Start by making your pasta dough. Add the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Create a well in the center of the bowl, just push the flour aside until the center has a hole.
- Pour the olive oil and water into the well. Then begin to stir to combine. Stir until everything is fully incorporated. If it gets too hard to stir, you can start kneading with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Then put the dough on a floured surface and knead for 1-2 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Form a ball with the dough. Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment paper and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Now, make the ricotta. Add the ricotta ingredients to a food processor and process until the mixture is nice and smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Once the dough has chilled, cut the dough into 4 portions. Then roll each portion of the dough out to about 1/8- 1/12 inch thick . You can do this with a pasta roller or on a floured surface with a rolling pin.
- Cut into circles that are about 2 1/2 inches
- Then fill each circle with 1/2 teaspoon of the ricotta filling. Place it in the center.
- Wet the edges of the pasta, then fold in half to create a half moon, then wet the two points of the half moon and bring them together. See photos above.
- Repeat with all the pasta, bringing the scraps together and rolling out again to make more.
- If making the sauce, start it now. Heat the vegan butter on medium high in a large non-stick pan.
- Once the butter has melted, add the garlic. Saute for 1-2 minutes, reducing heat as needed.
- Then add the flour and whisk to combine and make a roux. Simmer for a minute.
- Now, add the non-dairy milk. Whisk to combine and make sure there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the milk has thickened.
- Add the vegan Parmesan, a pinch of salt and pepper and lemon zest if using. Whisk to combine. Keep hot on low while you cook the tortellini.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the tortellini in batches so you don't overcrowd the pot, for 3-4 minutes. The tortellini will float when it is done.
- Serve immediately with the sauce and some veggies if desired. I like to serve with roasted brussels sprouts.
- There will probably be extra ricotta, but I like to use it as a topping, or you can save for later.