Spring is the prime time in my opinion to make all the leek recipes. So get down on this amazing vegan wild mushroom leek chowder. Buttery, herby, creamy chowder. Leeks pair very well with the wild mushrooms and some Yukon gold potatoes. This simple comforting chowder will probably be on repeat all year long. This chowder features easy to find ingredients, it is super fast to make and you will instantly fall in love! I don’t know if there is anything better than this beautiful oniony, creamy broth with some amazing mushrooms.
What You Need For The Best Leek Recipe:
- Vegan Butter: For sweating the leeks.
- Leeks, Celery, Garlic, Mushrooms and Potatoes: These veggies are the base of this amazing chowder.
- Bay Leaves, Thyme, Nutmeg and Cayenne: The perfect spices and herbs for this chowder.
- Marsala Wine: I like to use a sweet one.
- Vegetable Broth: For the liquid in the soup.
- Raw Cashews: To create the cream. If you can’t have cashews, you can use regular non-dairy milk and thicken it up with flour.
- Agave Syrup: To add some much needed sweetness.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh is best, for a little kick of acidity if you want.
One taste of this vegan wild mushroom leek chowder will having you coming back for more. It tastes so amazing and is pretty healthy for some serious vegan comfort food. So smooth and creamy. Salty and sweet. Herby and buttery. I like to use either Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter for this recipe. A touch of heat and the perfect amount of acid. It is everything, so add it to your permanent dinner rotation. It is that good!
Why Should You Make This Amazing Chowder?
- So creamy and dreamy.
- Very easy to make, very easy to eat.
- Mushrooms and leeks were made for each other.
- Yukon gold potatoes, need I say more?
- All the herbs and spices.
Vegan Wild Mushroom Leek Chowder
- 1 Cup Raw cashews, soaked*
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 Large Leek, sliced
- 1 Stalk Celery, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 8 Ounces Mushrooms, I used shiitakes, oyster and baby bella
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Marsala wine
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 2 Large Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- Squeeze of Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make cashew cream first. Drain the cashews you soaked and add them to a blender. Then add the non-dairy milk, nutmeg, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend, scraping down the sides as needed until the mixture is completely smooth. It may take a few minutes depending on your blender. Set aside.
- Now, heat the vegan butter on medium high in a large pot. Add the leeks, celery, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté, reducing heat as needed until the mushrooms have released their liquid and then are starting to brown. About 8-10 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Next add the wine, bay leaf and thyme. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the wine has mostly been absorbed by the veggies.
- Then, add the potatoes and the vegetable broth. Stir to combine everything. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and continue to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Pour the cashew cream you made into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Then add the agave and a squeeze of lemon.
- Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme springs. Then taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately.