Pour some vegetable fricassee over some creamy cauliflower mash and life gets instantly better!
Serving some total vegan comfort food realness with this vegan vegetable fricassee over cauliflower mash! Incredible veggies in a swanky vegan cream sauce poured over probably the best mashed cauliflower of all time. This is a fall must have. It can be made totally gluten-free and literally everyone goes gaga when I announce vegetable fricassee is for dinner.
Have you ever tried fricassee? It traditionally uses meat of course, but we don’t need no stinking meat. Vegetables cooked in the same fashion in a similar rich cream sauce, are total heaven. Fricassee is halfway between a sauté and a stew. Always done in one pot, with very simple ingredients. You’ll fall in love with this vegan version just like all that have tried it before you!
How easy is this vegan vegetable fricassee?
So dang easy, simply sauté and braise the veggies while you boil the cauliflower. Blend the cauliflower, make the sauce. Serve a big ol’ bowl of cauliflower mash topped with all the good stuff. Root veggies, mushrooms, garlic and cream sauce. You’ll have a hard time not going back for seconds!
This vegan vegetable fricassee is perfect to use any veggies you want. Anything you have on hand works pretty well in this dish. Fall veggies are my favorite, but I’m always pretty delighted to make it during other seasons to see what else goes well in this dish. While talking about how amazing the fricassee is, I want to make sure you understand that this is the best cauliflower mash ever. I have had a lot that was not good, but this cauliflower will definitely give mashed potatoes a run for their money!
Vegan Vegetable Fricassee with Cauliflower Mash
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 an Onion, chopped(I used a vidalia)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery, diced
- 3 Large Carrots, chopped
- 20 Ounces Mushrooms, chopped(I used half crimini and half shiitake)
- 1 teaspoon Poultry seasoning (usually contains Thyme, Sage, Rosemary and Nutmeg)
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/4 Cup All purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup White wine,vegan (I used Pinot Grigio)*
- 2 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Cup Coconut cream or full fat coconut milk, canned
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive in a large skillet on medium high.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery. Saute, reducing heat as needed for about 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the carrots and mushrooms. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Then season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to saute until the mushrooms have browned. About 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle in the poultry seasoning, toss to coat everything.
- Then add the vegan butter and melt over the veggies. Now, sprinkle the flour over the veggies and toss to coat all the veggies in the flour.
- Next, pour the white wine into the skillet and stir into the veggies. Let simmer on medium low for 2-3 minutes.
- Then pour in the vegetable broth and coconut cream. Stir to combine everything and make sure there are no lumps of flour left. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Reduce to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken up, but should still be somewhere between gravy and stew. Stir every few minutes.
- While that is simmering, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets.
- Boil the cauliflower for 8-10 minutes or until very tender. Drain and add the a blender.
- Then add the non-dairy milk, vegan butter, salt and pepper to the blender. Blend until totally smooth. it may take a minute. Taste and adjust seasonings. I like more salt, but that is a personal preference.
- Now, taste the vegetable fricassee and adjust seasonings. Serve a bowl of cauliflower mash topped with vegetable fricassee.