Pair these vegan spring lemon veggie and tofu skewers with some lemony tomato feta orzo salad. You will fall head over heels for this spring meal. The orzo salad is served chilled and can be made ahead of time. The tofu and veggies marinate in an amazing lemon-herb marinade. So you can marinate and make the orzo at the same time. Then just put the tofu and veggies on wooden skewers and bake or use a grill/grill pan. This meal is bright, easy, delicious and so comforting, of course.
What You Need For This Yummy Spring Meal:
- Extra Firm Tofu: You need extra firm tofu so it doesn’t fall apart when you put it on the skewers.
- Asparagus and Artichokes: These are the spring veggies I chose for the skewers, but your favorites will work.
- Garlic, Lemons, Basil, Rosemary, Olive Oil, Veggie Broth: These are the basic ingredients that you need for the marinade.
- Orzo Pasta: For the pasta salad if you are making it, and I highly recommend it!
- Cherry Tomatoes: These are an important part of the pasta salad.
- Vegan Feta: Also, very important for the pasta salad. I used Violife brand.
- More Garlic, Lemons, and Basil: For dressing the pasta salad.
I love how easy these vegan spring lemon veggie and tofu skewers are. Just whisk together the marinade. Add the veggies and tofu to the marinade and toss to combine. Let them sit for a few hours or overnight, while you whip up the orzo salad. Which is also as is as it gets. Just boil the orzo, let it cool. Then toss with the rest of the ingredients. A bite of the tofu and veggies with the orzo is seriously amazing.
Why Should You Make This Deliciousness?
- It is really easy.
- It is super comforting, but a little more on the healthy side.
- Everything can be prepped ahead of time.
- The flavor is amazing!
- Super simple, basic ingredients are all that is needed.
Vegan Spring Lemon Veggie and Tofu Skewers
Spring Lemon Veggie and Tofu Skewers
- 1 Block (15oz.) Extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 8 Spears Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 Ounces Artichoke hearts in oil or water(whichever you prefer)
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1/4 Cup Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon zest
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 8 Wooden skewers, soaked
Orzo Pasta Salad
- 8 Ounces Orzo pasta, vegan
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Pint Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 Cup Vegan feta, I used Violife, crumbled
- 1 Cup Fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch of Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with marinating the tofu. After you have drained and pressed the tofu, cut the block of tofu into cubes. Set aside.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vegetable broth and lemon juice. Then stir in the lemon zest, garlic, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu cubes, cut asparagus and artichoke hearts to the bowl with the marinade. Toss to coat everything. Let sit for at least 3 hours or even overnight, tossing occasionally. (You want to make sure you press the tofu well and it is very firm, so it doesn't fall apart).
- While the tofu marinates, you can make the orzo pasta salad. This is served chilled, so you can make it anytime. Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain and let cool at least to room temperature.
- Add to a large mixing bowl, then add the remaining ingredients for the pasta salad and toss to combine everything. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cover and put in the fridge until ready to serve.
- When ready to make the skewers, preheat the oven to 425 degrees(F).
- Take your wooden skewers, and put a cube of tofu on, then asparagus, then an artichoke heart and repeat until the skewer is full. You should be able to get about 8 skewers.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and place the skewers on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip the skewers and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until nice and brown.
- You can either serve as is, or place on a grill pan after baking to get some grill marks.
- When the tofu is done, serve the skewers with the pasta salad.