I try really hard when I have an idea, to do some research and make sure there are not already a bunch of recipes already available that are pretty much the same recipe as what I want to work on. I prefer to not find any, but if I do, I make sure it is in no way similar to the recipe I have written. That being said, this is the exception. I have seen many vegan shepherd’s pie recipes. There is a very important reason that I went ahead and I am posting this recipe anyways. This is THE BEST vegan shepherd’s pie EVER. I have had several different vegan shepherd’s pie, and none compare to this one.
There is a reason that this is the best, my husband has been lovingly developing this for years. He has tried a million different combinations, and has ultimately come up with something so totally addictive, I have a very hard time just having one serving. It is so comforting and hearty, this is the perfect cold weather dish. It will also feed a crowd, which is great for this time of year!
This bad boy has not just ale in it, but a nice splash of whiskey for the ultimate warmth and comfort. My husband likes to to add corn and carrot as the veggies, but also sometimes does a little leek depending on the year, so that is something to consider if you want. This recipe just has carrots and corn, and it was amazing! However, I am a sucker for leeks! This is a great make ahead recipe, as you can make the separate components and then put together in a baking dish and bake when ready! I get so busy, I love to have these casserole thrown into an oven options!
This is definitely the ultimate plant based comfort food to share with your family on one of these long cold nights! So easy, and ready to be baked when you are. I hope you guys enjoy!
- 2 Carrots (grated)
- 1/2 An Onion (grated)
- 1 Can of Corn
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Pkg. Veggie Beef, I used Gimme Lean
- 1 C. Textured Vegan Protein (TVP)
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 2 C. Vegetable Broth
- 1 Bottle Vegan ale, I used Yuengling
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Whiskey
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6-8 Yukon Gold Potatoes ( depending on size)
- 1/3 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 3 Cloves of garlic (chopped)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil, and add the carrot.
- Sweat the carrot for a few minutes then add the onion, corn and garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes, then add the veggie beef. Using a spoon or smasher, smash the veggie beef and start to brown.
- Add the TVP, tomato paste and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir together. The TVP will start to absorb the liquid.
- Add the ale and whiskey, then the thyme.
- Reduce down for about 15 minutes, the filling will thicken up. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside while you make the potatoes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes.
- Boil until soft.
- Mash with the vegan butter and garlic.
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large baking dish, scoop the filling into the bottom and smooth out.
- Scoop the potatoes on top and smooth out. Scrap with a fork to create texture.
- Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. You can broil for a few minutes as well if you want to brown the top more.