Are you a human being? If the answer is yes, then you will love these vegan Parmesan truffle tater tots. There is something about the smell of truffle oil that makes my mouth water. It makes me want to bathe in a huge bath full of truffle oil and smell it constantly for like a month straight. There is a restaurant my husband and I like to go to, and they have Parmesan truffle fries which I can smell while they are bring delivered. I as always knew that one day I would make a vegan version, but then I thought, what if I take it a step further. Tater tots.
Tater tots are the kid friendly food that every adult can not deny they would sell something really important for. Maybe not like sell their first born important, but maybe a car or something? However, these homemade and very easy tater tots, with the addition of vegan Parmesan and truffle oil may make you reconsider selling your first born. They are everything.
It is actually surprisingly easy to make your very own tater tots, and you can really add any flavoring you want. Buffalo tater tots? That sounds amazing. Garlic and herb? Yes, I think so. It takes a little bit of effort to make these, but it is fun, and you can have a little one help you if you want. I like to let my little help if possible. She loves cooking, and she also freaking loves tater tots. I feel really good about making these for her. Since I know they are mostly just potatoes and not chemicals.
My four year old is not a fan of truffle oil, so when we make these, I just form a few tots for her before I add the oil. They are pretty amazing either way, but I am not sure I have ever loved anything more than these crispy little tots of glory. They are pretty much all the things I love in the world in a tiny bite sized package!
Crunchy, salty, earthy, potatoey. Is there anything not to love? Serve with some garlic mayo or some spicy ketchup, so many possibilities. Have fun kids, and I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Parmesan Truffle Tater Tots
- 2 lbs. Russet potatoes,peeled
- 1 Tbsp. All purpose flour
- 3 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 4 tsp. Truffle oil
- 1 Tbsp. Vegan Parmesan
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 C. Cashews
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 C. Vegan Mayo
- 4 Cloves Garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- If using the homemade vegan Parmesan, make it first, by adding the cashews, nutritional yeast and salt to a food processor and pulsing until it is a fine crumble like real Parmesan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, fill with water and then add the peeled potatoes. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 6-8 minutes, just until a little softer, you don't want them to be cooked all the way through.
- Drain and cool for a few minutes so you can handle them. Grate the potatoes, and then add them to a mixing bowl with the flour, salt and pepper, nutritional yeast, and 2 tsp. of truffle oil. Mix together.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a non stick skillet. Form the potato mixture into tots using your hands. Just press together and make it as tot like as you can. Fry the tots in batches for a minute or two on each side until nice and brown.
- You can make sure they are cooked all the way through in the pan, or finish them in the oven. If you want to do that, place the fried ones on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 more minutes on 375 degrees.
- While you are cooking the tots, make the aioli by mixing all the ingredients together. Set aside. They are also super delicious with just ketchup!
- Once the tots are completely done, toss with the remaining 2 tsp. of truffle oil and the vegan Parmesan. Serve immediately,