If you are anything like me, you may be getting down to just pantry ingredients. However, you may want to try to stretch your pantry ingredients, before you have to try to order groceries or brave the store. So, I made an incredibly delicious vegan pantry pasta. It will make you feel like this was a totally intentional meal, one you would eat anytime. Not just out of necessity! This vegan pantry pasta is easy to customize using whatever pantry ingredients you have. These are suggestions, but you can use almost anything!
I think it is just important to use something with tang and brininess, something with sweetness, something with saltiness and something with acid. I used capers and olives for tang and brininess. I used sun dried tomatoes for sweetness. I used vegan Parmesan for saltiness, and I used lemon zest and juice for acid. Using all of this combined really makes it feel like a full meal with just stuff out of the pantry.
You can easily make this a gluten-free meal by using your favorite gluten-free pasta and bread crumbs. I highly recommend using a long pasta for this recipe, but again, just grab whatever ya got! This vegan pantry pasta is also perfect for those days that feel like you have been cooking every meal forever. Those days you really feel like you can’t cook any more ’cause this pasta dish is super fast.
This pasta has toasted bread crumbs mixed in to it, and on top of it. Before you skip this step, I must say the extra few minutes of work is so worth it. The crunchy, salty little bits sprinkled throughout of this dish are so freaking incredible. Again, making this feel like a very intentional dish. One you’ll want to keep in your back pocket to use whenever you are feeling like a super fast, super easy, use-what-you-got perfect pasta dish!
Vegan Pantry Pasta
- 12 Ounces Linguine or other long pasta
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Olives, I used Kalamata, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Capers
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 Cup Panko bread crumbs, vegan
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Reserved pasta water
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Violife
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to package directions, making sure to save at least a 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain the rest when the pasta is al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add the garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes and capers. Saute for 2-3 minutes, reducing heat as needed, until the garlic is cooked. Season with the red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Then heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sized skillet on medium high. Add the panko to the skillet and toss to coat all the panko in the olive oil. Toast the panko, for about 2-3 minutes or until the panko is golden brown. Stirring consistently. Remove from heat.
- When the pasta is done and drained except for the bit of water you reserved, put the pasta back in the pot you cooked it in. Then pour the reserved pasta water into the pot with the pasta, starting with 1/4 cup.
- Then add the vegan Parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Then pour the skillet of olive oil, garlic, olives, sun dried tomatoes and capers into the pot. Toss to combine.
- Now if it isn't saucy enough for you, add a bit more of the pasta water until it is to your liking.
- Then add half the toasted panko and the parsley to the pot and toss one more time to combine everything.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with extra toasted panko and vegan Parmesan on top!