Creamy dreamy sauce with wine in it. Who could ask for anything more?
I could eat this vegan linguine and scallops for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The super luscious white wine cream sauce is so insanely easy. The vegan scallops are made from hearts of palm, which already have a natural brine to them. Making them the perfect replacement. They also get a beautiful sear on them, and make this linguine gorgeous!
The vegan white wine cream sauce is literally the best sauce for this linguine and scallops. Very simple and easy to find ingredients, just a roux thickened sauce made of non dairy milk and white wine. This amazing sauce takes all of 5 minutes to make. Which is right up my alley since I am a disaster who plans nothing and is more impatient than most people.
So, sometimes soaking cashews for a creamy sauce is fine, but most of the time, I frankly forget. Roux thickened non dairy milk and wine sauce for the win! Unless, you are like me and couldn’t find your wine bottle opener and then tried every other method to open it resulting in one small hole through the cork in which you slowly drip by drip measured out the wine into a glass measuring cup. That makes things a little more difficult.
This vegan linguine and scallops with white wine cream sauce is casual and easy enough for any weeknight meal, but so classy, you could pull it off for an awesome date night in. Like so classy.
If you have never used hearts of palm, mock scallops are a perfect way to get started! They are good for you, super tasty and delicious with pasta. The white wine cream sauce may have something to do with why these vegan scallops are out of this world!
Vegan Linguine and Scallops with White Wine Cream Sauce
- 16 oz. Linguine
- 14 oz. Hearts of palm
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 1 3/4 C. Almond milk or other non dairy milk
- 1/4 C. White wine
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook linguine according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, make the rest. First, slice the hearts of palm into 1/2 inch thick slices to mimic scallops.
- Next, heat the oil on medium high in a large cast iron or non stick skillet. Add the hearts of palm in a single layer, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown on one side for about 2 minutes or so, reducing heat as needed. Once one side is nice and brown, flip, sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper and brown on the other side for another 2 minutes or so. Once the hearts of palm have been seared on both sides and are cooked through, remove from heat.
- Now, either in the same skillet or a new one if you want, heat the vegan butter on medium until it melts. Then add the flour and whisk together until it forms a paste. Cook for a minute until it thickens, this is a vegan roux.
- Then, pour the non dairy milk and white wine into the skillet. Whisk to fully combine with the roux.
- Add the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Whisk and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick. Taste and adjust seasoning ( I feel like it needs a lot of salt). Turn off the heat.
- Once you have drained the pasta. Toss with the hot white wine cream sauce to coat. Serve with the hearts of palm scallops on top with parsley and another squeeze of lemon if you want!