Kung Pao Broccoli Lo Mein. You deserve this.
The weather is getting cooler and there is only one thing to do, make my vegan kung pao broccoli lo mein! It is spicy and delicious! It is easy and quick, it is the perfect weeknight meal! Broccoli marinated in soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Sauteed with garlic, ginger, green onions and chilies! Topped with peanuts! It is so freaking good!
This is a 30 minute dish, max. I usually have the broccoli ready in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the lo mein. Then all you have to do is toss the lo mein with the broccoli and sauce and you are good to go!
The marinade has cornstarch already in it, so when you pour the broccoli and marinade into the pan to saute, it thickens in no time! No extra steps to thicken this super flavorful and amazing sauce! Sauteing chilies, green onions, garlic and ginger first in some sesame oil before adding the marinade gives this sauce an extremely wonderful depth of flavor!
The sauce is then thickened and hoisin is added! Tossed with the lo mein, and topped with peanuts! I could eat this vegan Kung Pao broccoli lo mein, every. damn. day. It has all the flavors I dream of! Spicy, sweet, salty, garlicky, gingery, it is everything!
You can definitely use less chilies of you would like, but I love spicy food, and I would have to say even using 8-10 chilies, it wasn’t too spicy. That is up to you though, everyone knows their own spice threshold. If you know you really only want it to be mild, try maybe 4-6 chilies. It will be delicious no matter what! This is a meal that anyone will love!
Vegan Kung Pao Broccoli Lo Mein
- 1/3 C. Soy sauce
- 1/3 C. Rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 C. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Agave
- 2 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 1 Head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame oil
- 6 Green onions, chopped in large pieces
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Ginger, grated
- 8-10 Arbol chilies
- 1 tsp. Hoisin sauce, vegan
- 1 Box. Lo mein noodles
- 1/2 C. Peanuts, roasted and salted, chopped
- Start boiling the water for the lo mein and cook according to package instructions.
- Make a marinade for the broccoli. In a shallow mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, agave and corn starch until fully combined and the corn starch has dissolved. Now add the broccoli to the bowl. Stir to coat and make sure the broccoli is fully covered by the marinade. Set aside to marinate for about 5 minutes or so. Stirring every minute or so.
- Now in a wok or large non stick skillet, heat the sesame oil on medium high. Add the green onions, garlic, ginger, and chilies. Saute for 1-2 minutes, until the garlic and ginger are soft. Reducing heat as needed.
- Now add the broccoli and the marinade to the wok or skillet. Saute until the sauce has thickened. 1-3 minutes. Now add the hoisin sauce and half the peanuts. Toss together.
- Once the lo mein noddles are done, drain and add to the wok. Toss the noodles to coat with sauce. Serve immediately topped with the remaining peanuts and more chopped green onions.