With St. Patrick’s day upon us, I really wanted to create something totally amazing for all us non-meat eaters. This vegan Irish mushroom and stout stew is sure to make you feel like you aren’t missing anything! It is easy, but so hearty and so delicious. I implore you to serve it over mashed potatoes, and actually left the potatoes out of the stew so you could do just that. Instead, I added some leeks and cabbage and man, it is perfect. This recipe makes a large amount, and you’ll be glad it does.
What You Need For This Irish Stew:
- Olive Oil: To sauté your veggies.
- Mushrooms: Lots of them.
- Garlic, Onion, Carrots, Celery, Leek, Cabbage: These are sautéed, and simmer to create the yummiest stew.
- Vegan Stout: I used Sierra Nevada.
- Vegetable Broth: You’ll never miss the meat based broth, I promise.
- Thyme and Bay Leaves: To make this Irish stew even more delicious.
- Agave Syrup: For a bit of much needed sweetness.
- Cornstarch: This thickens it up a bit, and makes it perfect to serve over mashed potatoes.
This vegan Irish mushroom and stout stew is major comfort food and it is the best meal for the chilly days still happening. Serve it in a bowl with some good crusty bread. Or make yourself creamy mashed potatoes and pour this amazing s%#&t on top. This stew is made with easy to find ingredients, and is almost impossible to mess up. It takes a little bit of time since you need to simmer the stew for a while, but most of it is passive time, where you can just do whatever you want. Read a book, watch Bridgerton, whatever you want.
Why Should You Make This Stew?
- First and foremost, it tastes like heaven.
- It is easy as heck.
- Comforting is its middle name.
- Anything that can be served over mashed potatoes is automatically amazing.
- Stew with beer in it is so dreamy.
Vegan Irish Mushroom and Stout Stew
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 1 1/2 Pounds Baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Stalk Celery, diced
- 1 Cup Green Cabbage, chopped
- 8 Ounces Vegan stout beer, I used Sierra Nevada
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves, dried
- 1 Tablespoon Agave syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium high.
- Add the onion, garlic and leek to the pot. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the onion is translucent. About 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the mushrooms, and stir to combine everything. Sauté the mushrooms until they release their liquid and then they start to brown. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
- Then add the carrots, celery and cabbage. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the stout and stir to combine. Simmer until a lot of the stout has been absorbed, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, thyme, bay leaves, agave and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Stir to combine everything.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then add it to the pot and stir to combine.
- Put the cover back on and simmer for another 5-7 minutes or until the stew has thickened slightly. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Then taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve over mashed potatoes if desired!