Sweet, spicy, tangy, crispy, unbelievably delicious!
This vegan crispy Korean BBQ tofu is EPIC! Super easy, super crispy, super spicy, super amazing! I LOVE Korean flavors. Gochujang is one of my favorite things, and it’s what gives this BBQ sauce it’s spiciness. This Korean BBQ sauce has everything. Sweetness, spiciness, tang. So dang good. The method I use to make this tofu ultra crispy is the easiest thing in the world, and totally gluten-free!
This vegan crispy Korean BBQ tofu comes together crazy fast. Just whisk all the BBQ sauce ingredients together. Toss the tofu in salt and corn starch and then pan fry. Then toss with the sauce and serve with rice. This Korean BBQ tofu tastes amazing with all kinds of veggies too!
Serve with some broccoli, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, or really any veggie you like to throw into a stir fry. I am totally obsessed with this tofu!
When we lived in New York City, Korean food was one of my go to dinners. I tried so many restaurants and loved every minute of it. I wanted to bring a little bit of my food love to you guys, and when I miss New York, I just throw this together and everything seems a little better. A little more like home. Which is exactly what comfort food should invoke! Good food should give you all the feels!
Vegan Crispy Korean BBQ Tofu
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Cup Tomato sauce, canned
- 1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Gochujang paste
- 1 Small Apple, finely grated
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely grated
- 1 inch piece Fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
- Scallions for serving
- Rice for serving
- Start by pressing your tofu. I will link to my tofu guide below if you would like a step by step of that process. Press the block of tofu for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. You can even do it in the morning before you plan to make it.
- When you are ready to eat, make the Korean BBQ sauce first. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave, Gochujang, the finely grated apple, garlic and ginger, and the sesame seeds. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Then, take your pressed block of tofu, cut into cubes, or thinner rectangular slices like I did. Whatever you prefer. Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle with the corn starch and salt. Toss to coat all of the tofu.
- Now, heat a little bit of oil at the bottom of a non stick pan on medium high. Add the tofu to the pan, don’t over crowd it, if the pan is too small to fit all of it, do it in two batches.
- Brown the tofu on all sides, reducing heat as needed. It will take a few minutes on each side to get the tofu nice and crispy. Remove all of the tofu from the pan, place in a bowl.
- If there is any leftover oil in the pan, wipe it out. Then return the pan to the heat and add about half of the Korean BBQ sauce. Heat on low for a minute, then add all of the tofu back to the pan.
- Toss to coat the tofu, and cook for a minute. Then remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice and veggies if you want. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the top and garnish with scallions or chives!