This vegan creamy mushroom marsala soup with black pepper thyme drop biscuits is one the best things I’ve eaten. The soup is everything good in this world. The biscuits are simple and easy to make. Crunchy outside, moist inside. An absolute must to serve with this soup. It’s chilly outside and this soup and biscuit combo is the best solution for the shivering.
What You Need For This Cozy Bowl of Yum:
- Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Thyme and Pepper: These are the dry ingredients to make these incredible drop biscuits.
- Vegan Butter: All biscuits need that buttery goodness.
- Non-dairy Milk and Lemon Juice: These mixed together make a great buttermilk substitute.
- Onions and Garlic: Start this soup off with a bang!
- Mixed Mushrooms: Lots of mushrooms to make this soup extra awesome. I used shiitake, baby bella and oyster mushrooms.
- Marsala Wine: Of course. I used sweet Marsala and I think it’s perfect!
- Vegan Cream Cheese: For that good creaminess.
- Vegetable Broth: The broth mixed with the wine and cream cheese makes a delicious soup!
My original concept, was to make this vegan creamy mushroom marsala soup with dumplings. But after further testing, I realized that would not work the way I wanted it to. When cooking the soup and then simmering it with dumplings on top, the soup was more of a sauce. I still wanted it to be very soupy and not just like a sauce for the dumplings. So I decided drop biscuits were just as easy and could be baked while the soup it simmering. And BOOM! Soooo good and just what I wanted!
Why Should You Make This Soup and Biscuits?
- The soup and the biscuits stand alone and are amazing by themselves. So just imagine the combo.
- This recipe may have a few steps, but it’s easy and quick.
- This recipe may convert some mushroom haters.
- Black pepper and thyme biscuits are my new favorite flavor of biscuit!
- Super comforting and warming!
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Marsala Soup
Black Pepper and Thyme Drop Biscuits
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme, just the leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3/4 Cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used soy milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, cold( I used Earth Balance)
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Marsala Soup
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 Pounds(24oz.) Mushrooms, sliced( I used baby bella, shiitake and oyster)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh thyme, just the leaves
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Marsala wine
- 8 Ounces Vegan cream cheese, I used Kite Hill
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the biscuits first. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees(F).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Then stir in the salt, pepper and thyme.
- Now whisk together the non-dairy milk and lemon juice either in the measuring cup or a small bowl. Set aside for a minute.
- Next, cut the butter into small pieces or break apart with your finger. Drop the butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Now, cut in the butter, using a pastry cutter, a fork or your fingers. Continue cutting in the butter until the mixture resembles sand or dirt and all the butter is evenly distributed.
- Now, pour in the non-dairy milk and lemon juice mixture. Stir to combine until everything is full incorporated. If the mixture seems dry, add a splash more milk.
- Now scoop large dollops(about 1/4-1/3 cup) of dough onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. You should get 7-8 biscuits.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and firm inside.
- While the biscuits bake, heat the vegan butter for the soup in a large soup pot on medium high.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté, reducing heat to medium- medium low. Sauté until the mushrooms are brown. They should release their liquid and then brown. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the thyme and the marsala wine. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes, the mushrooms will absorb most of the wine.
- Add the vegan cream cheese and whisk into the mushrooms and wine. Whisk until is has mostly melted. This will help it blend with the broth. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Next pour in the broth. Whisk until the cream cheese is fully incorporated with the broth.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally, or until the soup has thickened slightly.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve a bowl of soup topped with a black pepper and thyme drop biscuit.