I was recently asked what was the one holiday side dish I couldn’t do without. The answer was this vegan cinnamon streusel sweet potato casserole! It is easy and has everything I want all in one dish. I roast the sweet potatoes, and then just easily peel off the skins. I think it is so much easier than peeling, chopping and boiling the sweet potatoes. Then all you have to do is mash them with vegan butter and non-dairy milk. Make a super simple streusel topping and bake.
This sweet potato casserole is creamy and crunchy, sweet and bit salty. It is literally my favorite way to make sweet potatoes. I mean how could it not be, it is so indulgent. I think we all deserve a little indulgence for the holidays. With all the vegan butter and cinnamon, brown sugar goodness, this is definitely the rich side dish of your dreams.
When I was a kid, we always but marshmallows on top of our sweet potato casserole. So, I do have tender memories of that gooey goodness. I have done that with vegan marshmallows, but I think after much deliberation, I am certain I love this cinnamon streusel topping more. It is very easy to make, you just add all the ingredients to a bowl and crumble together with softened vegan butter.
Your life may never be the same after one bite of this vegan sweet potato casserole. I doubt you will ever go back to peeling , chopping and boiling potatoes after you try this method of roasting them. I also really doubt that anyone will not fall madly in love with this holiday casserole!
Vegan Cinnamon Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 Pounds Sweet potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/4 Cup Almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 2 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/2 Cup All purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Wash the sweet potatoes and poke wholes in the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times. Then put them whole on a sheet pan in the oven and roast for 35-45 minutes or until they are very soft and the skin is peeling away.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool for a few minutes so you can handle them. Reduce the heat of the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- When you can handle the sweet potatoes, cut them down the center and peel off the skins, adding the potato to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash all the potatoes with a fork or potato masher. Then add the vegan butter, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, vanilla and salt to the bowl. Whisk together to combine and make completely smooth.
- Then pour the sweet potatoes into an 8x8 inch casserole dish, smooth out evenly and set aside.
- Now, make the streusel, in a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and pecans or walnuts. Then break up the softened butter with your fingers and press and pinch into the dry ingredients.
- Once the butter is fully incorporated, you can crumble it with your fingers. Then sprinkle the crumbles on top of the sweet potatoes in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the streusel topping is brown and crispy. Serve hot.