Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Muffins
Holy cow, Christmas is on Sunday! So, let me lay this on you. You need these chocolate peppermint muffins in your life. They are literally the perfect muffin in every way. So light and fluffy, the exact amount of rise I wanted, so they create the best muffin top I have ever seen (which is obviously everyone’s favorite part of the muffin), the amount of peppermint is just right in contrast with the chocolate. Perfect, seriously. No, really, I am super serious.
I will be honest though, they are probably not the healthiest muffins ever, but ya know, I think it is totally fine to have a sweet breakfast every once in a while. Especially around the holidays. I would have to also say, that I am more vegan for the animals than I am for health reasons, but the amazing health benefits that come with being vegan are definitely not a downer! Like my friend Jenny always says, “eating a vegan baked good is like eating a salad, right?” I will have to say these may not be exactly like eating a salad, but they are a hell of a lot better for you than regular chocolate muffins!
So, let us have a little chat, do you have family coming into town? Well, I do, but it is just my brother whom I love more than anything in the world, and he does not stress me out. I hear though, that having family staying with you for the holidays can be a little bonkers. Make a batch of these! For real, this recipe makes 2 dozen muffins, they are great for several days and can be toasted and then I recommend placing a good slather of vegan butter on top. I promise you will please everyone, and not have to worry about breakfast for a few days!
They are so moist, yet some how still fluffy. Magically very pepperminty without it being overwhelming. Crunchy on top, soft in the center. Seriously, the perfect muffin! I hope you enjoy, and as always, if you have questions or feedback, I would love to hear it!
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 3/4 C. Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 C. Sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 1 1/4 tsp. Peppermint extract
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 C. Dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer, beat together the vegan butter and sugar for about a minute.
- In small bowl, mix the flax meal and water together to make your flax eggs. Let sit for a minute until they thicken. Then add the flax mixture and the peppermint extract to the sugar and butter. Continue mixing the wet ingredients together until fully combined.
- Next, mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together and let sit for a minute or two, it will start to thicken and curdle making vegan buttermilk.
- Start adding the dry ingredients and the almond milk mixture to the wet ingredients a little at a time, alternating the dry mixture and the almond milk until everything is fully incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, and place scoops of the batter into a muffin tin that is lined with muffin papers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.