Warning: You will have herbs stuck in your teeth.(It’s totally worth it!)
This vegan chimichurri pasta is something I have been working on as a lighter more spring timey pasta. Fresh herbs, garlic, red onion, lemon juice. This pasta is so damn good. Customarily, you use a lot of olive oil in a chimichurri sauce, but I opted for veggie broth as the liquid. Making it taste just like chimichurri, but much lighter! This is the quickest meal you could possibly make and also one of the most delicious meals ever!
So the first test of the chimichurri pasta, I just blended everything together raw. Then tossed with the hot pasta in the hot pot to cook it a bit. It was delicious, but as I was stirring and eating it, the onion started to burn my eyes. Like full on crying. So, I then considered this is not what I want to do to you guys! I then decided the best thing to do would be to saute the onion and garlic for a few minutes first.
I then can honestly say this is one of my all time favorite pasta sauces. Vegan chimichurri pasta is healthy, light, springy, but really good anytime, and I love it so much!
I like to serve mine with roasted mushrooms. Just drizzle some portabellos with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes at a high temperature, and you have the perfect compliment to this chimichurri pasta! One bite that has both the pasta and the mushrooms in it, and you will understand what pure bliss is!
Quick and easy, super customizable, it would be delicious with lots of different proteins, and the ultimate weeknight meal that everyone will love!
Vegan Chimichurri Pasta
- 1/4 C. Red onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. + 1 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
- 1 C. Parsley, fresh
- 1 C. Cilantro, fresh
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C. Vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 oz. Pasta, I used linguine
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Heat the 1 tsp. of olive oil in a non stick skillet on medium high. Then add the chopped red onion and chopped garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed for 1-3 minutes until the onions are translucent. Let cool for a minute.
- Now in a blender or food processor, add the parsley, cilantro,1 Tbsp. of olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, veggie broth and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse for a second.
- Now add the sauteed onions and garlic. Pulse in the blender or food processor until the sauce is smooth, scraping down as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the pasta is done, drain, return to the pot and pour the sauce in. Toss the pasta so it is coated. Serve immediately. I like to serve mine with roasted mushrooms, crispy tofu or tempeh!