Vegan Cherry Thyme Hand Pies are here to make your summer awesome!
Just in time for all your festive July parties, these vegan cherry thyme hand pies are incredible! They are so simple to make, and one of the tastiest treats of all time. Homemade cherry pie filling using fresh cherries in stuffed in a delicious vegan thyme infused pie crust. Cut into adorable little circle pies and baked to perfection! You can make a bunch of teeny tiny pies to feed a crowd or make 4-5 larger hand pies for a smaller party. I promise everyone will love them.
One thing I really love about these vegan cherry thyme hand pies is that there are very few ingredients required to make these incredible treats come to life! The cherry pie filling is so easy and is not sickeningly sweet like a can of cherry pie filling you get at the store.
The thyme pie crust is completely fool-proof and can be used with so many different fillings. It is a great recipe to memorize so you can just throw a quick crust together. It is flaky and buttery and oh so yummy! Also, if you don’t love thyme, this is a great base crust to add other flavors to!
These Hand Pies Would Also Be Great With Other Flavored Crusts, Like:
- Black Pepper
The possibilities are endless and summer is the perfect time to find you favorite flavor combination! Happy stuffing your face with pie, friends!
Vegan Cherry Thyme Hand Pies
Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 Cups Chopped and Pitted Cherries
- 1/4 Cup Organic cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons+1 teaspoon Water, divided
- 1 Teaspoon Cornstarch
Vegan Thyme Pie Crust
- 1 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon Organic cane sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Vegan butter, cold
- 1/4 Cup Water, ice cold
- 1 Tbsp Thyme
- Make the cherry pie filling first, add the chopped pitted cherries to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat on medium low. Add the sugar and 2 Tbsp of water.
- Simmer/saute for about 10 minutes or until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Now, whisk together the remaining 1 tsp of water and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Then add it to the cherries. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for a few more minutes until the cherry mixture has thickened up. It will thicken more as it cools. Remove from heat and let it cool all the way.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees(F).
- Make the pie crust, in a large mixing bowl, sift the flour. Then stir in the sugar and salt.
- Then, break the cold vegan butter up into small pieces and drop them into the dry ingredients. Using a fork or your fingers, pinch and work the butter into the flour until the flour looks crumbly and sand like. Making sure the butter is all evenly distributed.
- Next, pour the cold water and thyme into the bowl, stir to combine. Then when it gets hard to mix, use you hands to work the dough into a ball. It may seem like it isn't wet enough at first, but it will be perfect once you wok it together with your hands.
- Chill the pie crust in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, on a floured surface, roll the pie crust out as thin as you can get it without it falling apart. About an 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the crust into small circles, put some cherry pie filling in the center of one circle, a few teaspoons of filling will do. Then top with another circle and press the edges together with a fork. Pierce the top with a knife a few times to let the steam out as it bakes.
- Repeat with all the crust, pressing the excess crust back together and roll out again to get more pies.
- Place mini pies on a sheet pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Spray the tops of the pies to brown them.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until they are brown and crispy.
- Serve with powdered sugar, a quick glaze or vegan whipped topping.