Cashew chicken was one of my go to fast Chinese food orders. On Friday, my dad would ask, pizza or Chinese. So 50% of the time I would order either General Tso’s Chicken or Cashew Chicken. I decided I didn’t want to live another day without my old favorite. Vegan Cashew Tofu is not only addictive, and perfect in every way, I think it may be better, dare I say, than any Cashew Chicken you can get from a restaurant!
This a 30 minutes at the most meal, and if you want to make rice to go along, you can get the rest done while the rice is cooking! A simple saute of tofu, then zucchini, garlic and green onions all tossed in this perfect sauce and roasted cashews add at the end all make this a mouth- wateringly delicious meal.
The smell of the garlic and green onions sauteing makes me wonder how anyone doesn’t love to cook. Give me a garlic and onion candle and I would be a happy girl. My trick to getting a nice brown crust on the tofu is to place it in the pan alone in a single layer. Leave it on on side without touching, then once brown on one side flip and repeat.
Another main component of perfect tofu is to press it and make sure you have as much liquid pressed out as possible. There are a bunch of super awesome tofu presses that will do an amazing job, but you can just use a heavy pan, I like to use a cast iron skillet!
This is the perfect weeknight meal that everyone will love. My 4 year old daughter and 34 year old husband both loved it! Perfect for your little vegetarian/vegan, or your little omnivore that you are trying to introduce less meat to! I hope you love it too!
Vegan Cashew Tofu
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu, cubed and pressed
- A few pinches of salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Light flavored oil of choice
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- 6-8 Green onions, chopped
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 C. Hoisin sauce, vegan
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce or Tamari for GF option
- 1 tsp. Sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1 C. Cashews, roasted
- Jasmine, white or brown rice for serving
- Cube the tofu, then sprinkle with salt and pepper, then make sure you press it for at least 15-30 minutes. Longer is fine.
- Once you are ready to go, heat the oil in a wok or non stick pan. Add the tofu and let brown on one side for 2-4 minutes, leave alone until brown. Flip and repeat on all sides until the tofu is all brown.
- Now add the chopped zucchini, the garlic and the white parts of the green onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes until the zucchini is cooked but still firm, and then garlic is cooked.
- In the meantime, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, hoisin, soy sauce or tamari, sesame oil and water. Pour the sauce over the tofu and veggies and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens a bit .
- Stir in the cashews, and make sure they are incorporated. Remove from heat, eat as is, or serve with rice. Top with the green part of the green onions. Serve immediately.
*This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Rabbit and Wolves and the brands that keep us up and running. For more information, ready my Amazon Affiliate Disclosure*