Caramelized onion and potatoes in a beautiful fluffy and delicious vegan omelette!
This vegan take on the classic omelette known as a Spanish Tortilla is one of the best breakfasts I have ever eaten. I decided to recreate this dish and make it vegan when I had a dream the other day, no I am not kidding. The dream was about these breakfast potatoes and onions my dad used to make when I was a kid. They took forever, but I always waited patiently, because they were the most delicious potatoes ever. He would caramelize the onions, then lay thin sliced potatoes on top and get a nice crust on them. Gosh darn it, just thinking about them makes my mouth water.
I decided those potatoes would be delicious with a vegan egg mixture poured on top, making it an omelette would be glorious. I then realized, that is a vegan Spanish omelette! Well, it is easy, it is amazing, and I could eat it everyday!
I started just the same way my dad always used to, by caramelizing the onions, then using a mandoline (please, for the love of god use the guard it comes with) I thinly sliced potatoes. Then lay them on top of the onions. Cook until all the potatoes are a little brown and nice and soft.
Then, the vegan omelette mixture is so friggin’ easy. Just mix together a base mostly made with chickpea flour. It is delicious, high in protein, and cooks really easily egg style. You can fill it to make omelettes, or just turn it into scrambled eggs. Pour the mixture over the onions and potatoes. Then cook until the vegan omelette mixture has cooked through.
Ready to switch up your boring breakfast routine? This is NOT boring, super flavorful, impossible to mess up, and I promise, you will dream about. The perfect caramelized flavor of the onions and potatoes and the incredibly realistic vegan egg mixture!
Vegan Caramelized Onion and Potato Spanish Tortilla
Caramelized Onions and Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 2 Russet potatoes, sliced thin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 C. Chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 C. Water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- First, heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high and add the sliced onions. Saute for a few minutes until they start to become transparent. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and add the agave. Stir and continue to saute on low for about 5-7 more minutes or until the onions are nice and brown and caramelized.
- Now add the sliced potatoes and toss with the onions. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Flatten out the potatoes and leave them for about 2-3 minutes. Toss again, then flatten and leave for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat until the potatoes are nice and brown and cooked through.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the omelette mixture. Add all the ingredients to a blender. Blend for a few seconds just to make sure everything is fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, pour the omelette mixture over the onions and potatoes. Stir a bit like you would scrambled eggs to get the mixture cooking. Flatten out and continue to cook on low until the mixture is cooked through. May take 10-15 minutes. I like to cover mine to speed the process up a bit.
- When ready, let cool a few minutes, then you can flip it out onto a plate. Serve immediately!