This vegan blood orange frozen yogurt is everything. Do you have to use blood oranges? No, you can use any kind of citrus, but the blood oranges are absurdly delicious and beautiful! I grew up in South Florida, and in my home town, there are one million citrus groves. One of the groves close to where I grew up is called Nokomis Groves. They sell all their beautiful citrus right there, and they ship it. They also sell citrus flavored soft serve, and it is glorious!
Citrus flavored ice cream and yogurt is not something that you see very often, and I have to wonder why. It is incredible. I see a lot of sorbet in lime and lemon and orange flavors, but no creamy based treats! This is very questionable. So in the spirit of citrus season, here is the best gosh darn frozen yogurt ever.
Why you ask is this the best? Let’s make a list, 4 ingredients, vegan, refined sugar free option, so easy, gluten free, and a dessert you can totally feel great about eating! If you can’t find blood oranges, regular oranges would work just fine. Or any other citrus, just keep in mind you may want to add more agave depending on how sour your citrus choice is. For grapefruit, lemon and lime, I would add more sweetness for sure. The blood oranges are super sweet already, so you can cut back a little if you want.
The prep time on this is a few hours simply because you need to freeze the oranges first, but the actual active time you need to work on this is like 5 minutes. Once the oranges are frozen, you just have to throw everything into a food processor, freeze it, and then eat it all up!
What is your favorite citrus? I love this season, when all the amazing varieties are available, I got some heirloom oranges the other day, and they were amazing! I eat so many oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes, oh and pomellos, everything! I will never get scurvy, that is for sure! I hope you enjoy!
- 2 C. Blood oranges, or other citrus of choice
- 2 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1/2 C. Vegan yogurt, any kind of dairy free yogurt alternative, I used Daiya Greek style yogurt
- Peel and cut oranges into small segments.
- Place into a plastic container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Once the oranges are frozen, place them and all the other ingredients into a food processor, blend on high until completely smooth and creamy. It might take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once completely smooth, place into a container, and freeze again for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Serve whenever you are ready, keep in the freeze!
- If you are using a citrus that is more sour, you probably want to add more agave.
- You can use your favorite vegan yogurt, soy, coconut, almond, they all worked great!
- I used a peach flavored yogurt, but if you want no refined sugar, pick a plain yogurt. I just picked peach because I thought it would complement the oranges. Use whatever flavor you want.
- I recommend keeping in a container with a lid so you don't get freezer burn!