I don’t know how to say this without sounding snobby or full of myself, but these are the best G.D nachos I have ever had or can ever imagine having. The first bite of these nachos caused my eyes to roll back in my head. TMI? I don’t know, but what I do know is you need these Vegan BBQ Tempeh Nachos in your life. Don’t worry, you are very close to the best nachos of your life, just keep scrolling!
So, these babies are your standard tortilla chips topped with amazing things as usual, but that is where the usual stops, and these become unusually amazing. The chips are topped with vegan cheese, corn, the best damn BBQ tempeh ever, then more vegan cheese. Baked to perfection, then more amazingness is added. Pickled red onion, green onion, and vegan ranch that is so easy it is mind blowing.
If your mouth is not watering, it should be, and I promise the smell will make it happen. Sometimes you just need some “junk” food, but this is junk you don’t have to feel guilty about! I used a combination of mozzarella style vegan cheese and cheddar style, and I think it is perfect. It really hit the spot! You can use your favorite vegan cheese! What kind of vegan cheeses are you guys digging these days?
Vegan BBQ Tempeh Nachos are the nachos of your dreams! I literally had a dream about these, and that is pretty much the story of how they came about. Yes, I dream about food, like a lot. Then all I think about is food while I am awake. Then, my husband and I go out to eat and review the restaurant, and we are generally reading menus for other restaurants while we are eating. So, it may be safe to say, food is my life.
I really hope you give these tempeh nachos a try, they are the best around. At least, I think so! They will feed a crowd and please the lot of them!
Vegan BBQ Tempeh Nachos
- 1 C. Tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. Molasses
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard, dry
- 2 tsp. Amino acids, Braggs or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
Vegan Ranch Dressing
- 3/4 C. Vegan mayo, I used Follow Your Heart
- 1/4 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dill
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 2 tsp. Parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Pickled Red Onion
- 1/3 C. Red onion, sliced
- 1 C. Water
- 1/4 C. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Sugar
For the nachos
- 1 8oz. Block Tempeh
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Bag Tortilla chips, use enough to fill the pan
- 1/2 C. Corn
- 2 1/2 C. Vegan cheese,
- Green onion and parsley, optional
- Start by making your pickled onions, add all the ingredients to a small bowl, stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Set aside to make a quick pickle.
- Now make your BBQ sauce, by adding all the ingredients to a small sauce pan. Whisk, then bring to a simmer. Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat. Alternately, feel free to use your favorite store bought vegan BBQ sauce.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Now make the tempeh. Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a pan on medium high, I like to use cast iron for this. Crumble your block of tempeh into the pan, making sure it is in small crumbles. Saute until it starts to brown, stirring frequently. Maybe 5-8 minutes. Once it has a nice crust, add desired amount of BBQ sauce to the tempeh and cook for 2-3 more minutes until the tempeh is all coated and delicious!
- Now on a sheet pan, you can line with foil if you like, add a layer of chips, some vegan cheese, more chips, a little more cheese, then the corn, then the BBQ tempeh, then a bit more cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 until the vegan cheese has melted as much as it can.
- While the nachos are baking, make the ranch, by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the nachos are done, top with green onion, parsley, pickled red onion and ranch. Enjoy!