This pasta e fagioli is killer!
I LOVE pasta e fagioli! It is light and yet super hearty and comforting. I made you guys this spring vegan pasta e fagioli and not to toot my own horn, but it is outstanding! I added some lemon juice, leeks, peas and used sun dried tomatoes instead of fresh or canned to put this beautiful spring spin on a classic.
Pasta e fagioli translates to pasta and beans. I love using white beans, but any kind would be delish! This vegan pasta e fagioli is not only incredible, but pretty healthy. Lots of good protein, lots of great yummy veggies. This spring dish can also be adapted for any season. Just by adding different vegetables that are in season.
This is a great weeknight meal since it takes like 30 minutes, tops! I boil the pasta first, usually while I am chopping all my vegetables. Then saute the vegetables, simmer them in broth and then add the pasta to the soup for just a few minutes. Boiling the pasta separately is definitely the way to go for this soup!
Spring vegan pasta e faioli will for sure make it into your seasonal repertoire. It is so lovely and I legit ate it for every meal in one day. Yup, I couldn’t stop and ate 3 bowls in one day. It’s that freaking good.
Spring Vegan Pasta E Fagioli
- 8 Ounces (1 Cup) Ditalini pasta or other small pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Leek, chopped
- 1 rib of Celery, chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Can (15oz.) Cannellini beans
- 1 Cup Fresh peas, I used English peas
- 8 Ounces Sun dried tomatoes
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- First, cook the pasta. Boil the pasta according to the package directions. Cook until just al dente or a little under since you will be adding it to the soup and it will continue to cook slightly. Drain the pasta when done.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil on medium high in a large soup pot.
- Then add the chopped carrots, leeks, celery and garlic. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the vegetables have softened. About 5 minutes.
- Next, add the cannellini beans, peas and sun dried tomatoes. Saute for another 2-3 minutes. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Now, pour the vegetable broth and lemon juice into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with a pinch more salt and pepper.
- Then, add the pasta to the pot. Stir and simmer for a minute or 2. Taste and adjust seasoning. Adding salt and pepper to taste, and more lemon juice if needed. Serve immediately. I like to top with parsley.