When I have a cold or just need a little warming up, I make myself a hot toddy. I decided to make this nice warming cocktail a little fancier for the holidays by adding some Frangelico to make a hazelnut hot toddy. The hazelnut and bourbon flavors are so lovely together. This cocktail is served warm and is the best after dinner cocktail for the holidays.
Not only does is make you feel all warm and tingly, it will fill your house with what I can only call Christmas smell. Cinnamon, cloves and bourbon smell freaking amazing together. I always garnish with a bit of fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme. Not only does it look beautiful, it improves the smell even more! This recipe makes 4 cocktails so you can enjoy with your family.
These are pretty strong cocktails, so a little goes a long way. If it’s too strong, you can add a little water to smooth it out a bit more. I like how strong a good hazelnut hot toddy is on a cold night. After a big meal, this cocktail is the most comforting and relaxing way to finish! It is super fast to make, just throw everything in a small sauce pan and heat. You don’t even need to bring it to a simmer. Just heat and serve with your favorite garnish. Put some cinnamon sticks in to help stir and get ready to feel like a you put on a big snugly sweater.
Hazelnut Hot Toddy
- 1/2 Cup Frangelico (hazelnut liquor)
- 1/2 Cup Bourbon, vegan friendly
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cinnamon sticks, plus more for garnish
- 2 Whole cloves
- Fresh thyme or rosemary for garnish
- In a medium sized sauce pan, whisk together the Frangelico, bourbon, water, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Then add the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Heat on medium for about 5 minutes, just until nice and hot and the brown sugar has dissolved, don't bring to a boil.
- Then pour into cups, it will make 4 small cocktails or 2 large. Garnish with more cinnamon sticks and fresh herbs if desired.