Day Eleven of 12 Days of Vegan Christmas Cookies!
Okay, I know, I know. Rice krispie treats aren’t technically cookies. However, I saved these gingerbread vegan rice krispie treats for the end of my cookie extravaganza because they are so fast and easy. They go perfectly in all your holiday cookie boxes and are thrown together in just a few minutes, with just a few ingredients. So, they are a great last minute treat to fill up all those gift boxes. In true Rabbit and Wolves style, there was no way I could just veganize rice krispie treats. I obviously had to go a step further and make these a unique holiday treat. Thus gingerbread vegan rice krispie treats were born.
What You Need For These Ooey Gooey Holiday Treats:
- Vegan Butter: To start these classic yummy snacks with a plant-based alternative.
- Vegan Marshmallows: To mix with the butter for that gooeyness. I love My Dandies brand and Trader Joe’s brand.
- Molasses: This gives these rice krispies that unique gingerbread spin.
- Ginger, Cinnamon and Cloves: Because all good gingerbread has these spices in them.
- Vanilla: To ‘up’ the flavor game.
- Crispy Rice Cereal: Of course. I love to use Nature’s Path Organic Crispy Rice Cereal.
- Vegan White Chocolate: Just for topping, if desired!
Combining the molasses, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and cloves with the vegan butter and marshmallows is brilliant. It makes the usually classic sweet flavor taste just like gingerbread. Making these cut little squares taste like a cross between two of my favorite treats. This recipe requires pretty much no skill. You melt everything together in a large pot. Stir in the cereal. Press into a pan and chill until firm. Top with anything you want. Cut into squares and get ready for everyone to freak out!
Why Should You Make These Rice Krispie Treats?
- Who doesn’t love a rice krispie treat? Seriously.
- These epic treats taste like cozy, festive gingerbread.
- Simple and crazy fast.
- Only 8 ingredients. Plus, whatever you want to top them with.
- They are just really, really delicious!
The classic treats made vegan with a unique winter flavor!
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, I used Country crock plant butter
- 16 Ounces Vegan Marshmallows, I like to use My Dandies or Trader Joe's
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of Cloves, ground
- 8 Cups Vegan Crispy Rice Cereal, I used Nature's Path
- Melted vegan white chocolate for topping(optional), I used King David brand
In a large pot, one you will be able to fit all 8 cups of cereal in, heat the vegan butter on medium.
Once the butter has melted, add the vegan marshmallows, and stir to combine.
Reduce the heat to low, and continue to stir frequently until the marshmallows have melted and are fully combined with the butter. This may take 5-7 minutes or so.
Then pour in the molasses, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Stir to fully combine everything.
Turn off the heat and immediately pour all the rice cereal into the pot. Stir to combine and coat all the cereal evenly with the marshmallow mixture.
Next, scoop all of the rice krispie treat mixture into a 13x9 inch rectangular baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with parchment paper.
Now, press the rice krispie treats down into the pan evenly. It will be very sticky at this point, so I take a piece of parchment paper and lay it over the top of the mixture and use that to press it all down so it is flat and even.
Chill for at least an hour, but they keep well in the fridge for about a week.
Before serving, top with melted white chocolate, or extra cinnamon if desired. Cut into squares and serve.