Say “good morning!” to this caramel gingerbread vegan baked French toast. A simple brown sugar caramel is in the bottom of the baking dish. Then crusty bread is dipped in a very easy, and of course egg free gingerbread French toast custard. Layered in the baking dish and the remaining custard is poured on top. Baked and then served with maple syrup, whipped topping or anything you want.
What You Need For This Wintery French Toast:
- Non-dairy Milk: I used Oat milk, but any kind will do.
- Maple Syrup: This provides sweetness and flavor to the custard.
- Molasses: To give the French toast a very gingerbread taste.
- Vanilla, Allspice, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Nutmeg, Black Pepper: These make up the rest of the gingerbread flavor.
- All Purpose Flour: This is to help thicken your custard without eggs.
- Crusty Vegan Bread: I used homemade vegan Challah for mine, but any thick cut crusty or dense bread will work.
- Vegan Butter and Brown Sugar: This is to make the caramel for the bottom.
Once you pour the remaining custard over top of this caramel gingerbread vegan baked French toast, it mixes with the caramel at the bottom as it bakes. It becomes the most delicious sauce for the French toast and it is so freaking good. I would like to note as well, that, baked French toast is the best French toast. It is all done at once and you can sit back and relax. If you love baking French toast and pancakes rather than flipping them, you should try my Vegan Triple Berry Sheet Pan Pancakes.
Why Should You Make This Baked French Toast?
- It is so festive and wintery!
- It is super easy and perfect for when you need to feed a crowd.
- Baking it means you get to sit back and relax.
- It is so, so, so good. The caramel with the gingerbread, oh my gosh!
- Perfect for Christmas morning breakfast.
Caramel Gingerbread Vegan Baked French Toast
- 1/3 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar, plus more for topping
- 2 1/2 Cups Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- 2 Tablespoons Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Pinch of Black pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Large loaf Vegan crusty or dense bread, I used homemade vegan challah
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- Make the caramel first. Add the vegan butter and brown sugar to a small sauce pan.
- Heat on medium high and begin to whisk. Once the butter has completely melted, fully whisk together the butter and brown sugar. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, reducing heat as needed, just to make sure it is fully blended.
- Pour the sauce into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Spread it out evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Now, make the French toast. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, molasses, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Then sift the flour into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Then pour in all the spices. Now whisk to combine everything.
- Cut your loaf of bread into about 1/2-1 inch pieces. You want them to be pretty thick.
- Dip each slice of bread into the wet custard mixture you made. Dip on both sides and let sit for about 30 seconds on each side, letting the bread soak up a bit of the custard.
- Lay each slice of bread on top of the caramel sauce in the baking dish, you want to lay them diagonal and up against each other.
- Once you have all the bread filling the baking dish, drizzle the remaining custard on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle the top with a little more brown sugar, then bake for 35-45 minutes. Or until the bread is firm on top, but still moist in the center.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and or whipped topping if desired.