I used to think I hated Brussels sprouts. Then when I was in culinary school, I learned how to actually cook them and realized how amazing they really are! This warm Brussels sprouts citrus salad is very rather fine example of irresistible Brussels sprouts. Shaved and sauteed with walnuts, shallots and fresh citrus juice. I am not lying when I say I can not stop eating this salad when I make it.
Winter is the perfect time for Brussels sprouts, so this warm salad always finds its way to my holiday table. It is incredibly fast, healthy and still very comforting. If you buy a bag of already shaved Brussels sprouts, then this whole dish takes about 15 minutes. If you can’t find the already shredded sprouts, this is still a crazy fast dish!
I have totally won over Brussels sprouts haters with this warm Brussels sprouts citrus salad. The tart sweetness from the citrus is the perfect compliment to the sprouts. The walnuts give it a great crunch and the sprouts get soft and warm and amazing!
This warm salad is actually total perfection when cold too. I like to keep leftovers, and just eat it right out of the fridge without rewarming. It is such a yummy lunch the next day after any holiday meal! It does of course go so well with all the great holiday sides and main dishes and really makes any meal so dang good!
Warm Brussels Sprouts Citrus Salad
- If you can't find Brussels sprouts that are already shaved, use a mandoline to shave the sprouts nice and thin.
- Then heat the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet. Add the shallots and saute, reducing heat as needed for about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Now add the shaved Brussels sprouts, season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Then saute for about 10 minutes or until the sprouts are starting to soften.
- Next add the walnuts and continue to saute for about 3-5 more minutes. Then add the agave, orange juice and lemon juice.
- Saute for 2 more minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are completely soft and cooked. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm!