Crispy tofu+veggies+walnuts+amazing sauce=mouth party
Take out ain’t got nothing on this vegan walnut tofu! Asian inspired crispy tofu, tossed in a super yummy sauce with veggies and walnuts! Serve over rice or Asian noodles. It is to die for! This vegan walnut tofu is super quick and the best easy meal to make after a long day!
The base of the sauce is hoisin, which is literally one of my favorite things ever. Have you tried hoisin sauce? If you haven’t, be warned, it is addictive! I want to dump it on everything. Mix the amazing complexity of hoisin with saltiness of soy, sweetness of agave and acidity of rice wine vinegar. You get perfection. It is seriously perfect.
The crispiness of the tofu is also rather astounding. Just a quick toss in some salt and corn starch. Then into a super hot wok or skillet. It gets the best crusty outside ever. Then add whatever veggies you want, sauce, and boom! Best thing ever!
Finish with walnuts, pour over some rice, top with green onions and maybe sriracha. Then I of course like to spoon more hoisin over the walnut tofu, because it is one of the greatest inventions of man! Walnut tofu will definitely a recipe you want to add to your weeknight meal rotation. It is a keeper for sure!
Vegan Walnut Tofu
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. Corn starch
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 C. Broccoli florets
- 1/3 C. Carrots, chopped
- 1/3 C. Bamboo shoots
- 1/2 C. Walnuts, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Hoisin sauce
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Agave nectar
- Press the tofu first. Drain the tofu, sprinkle with the salt, and place on some paper towels. Top with more paper towels, and place something heavy on top. Press for at least 20 minutes, but the longer the better.
- Once you are ready, cut the tofu into cubes. Place in a bowl, and toss with the corn starch, making sure all the tofu is coated in corn starch.
- Now, heat the sesame oil on medium high in a wok or non stick skillet. Add the garlic and the tofu. Now saute the tofu. Cook on one side until it is nice and brown and crispy. About 2-4 minutes, reducing heat as needed. Then flip the tofu and cook on another side. Repeat until all sides are brown and crispy.
- While the tofu is cooking, add all the sauce ingredients to a small mixing bowl, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Once the tofu is done, add the broccoli, carrots and bamboo shoots to the pan with the tofu. Toss, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the veggies are cooked but still crisp.
- Then add the walnuts and combine. Then add the sauce. Stir to coat everything in the sauce. Cook for another minute, then remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice or noodles, or just by itself!