This delicious, amazing, unmatched vegan tinga tortilla rice bake is all made in one skillet! Super easy, with mainly pantry ingredients. A full perfect meal all in one. Sauté your protein of choice, I used vegan ground beef and black beans, but more beans or veggies would work. Tofu would be great, honestly most proteins you have on hand would be awesome. Then you add your seasonings, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. That is all mixed with water and then the rice is added to straight in to cook with everything. It simmers on the stove for a bit. That is all topped with tortilla chips and vegan cheese then baked to finish it off.
What You Need For The Ultimate Cozy Rice Dish:
- Vegan Beef and Black Beans: Or your protein of choice. I used Beyond beef.
- Onions and Garlic: To sauté with the protein.
- Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Salt, Chipotles: These give the start of this rice bake amazing flavor.
- Tomato Sauce and Diced Tomatoes: These get stirred into the skillet to start the flavorful liquid for the rice to cook in.
- Water: To cook the rice.
- Long Grain Rice: This is stirred into everything you already sautéed and gets cooked with everything else.
- Lime Juice: For a little hit of acidity this rice bake needs.
- Tortilla Chips: Layered on top of the skillet before baking.
- Vegan Cheddar Style Cheese: I used Violife cheese.
Serve it up with your favorite taco toppings. Some vegan sour cream, salsa, cilantro, green onions is usually the way I go. It would be great with guacamole, black olives and lettuce too! I promise this will be one of your new favorite meals, and it will feed a crowd. This vegan tinga tortilla rice bake makes a ton, so perfect if you have a lot of people to feed OR if you are a leftover/meal prep lover. I make this rice bake and eat it all week long!
Why Should You Make This Tingamazing Dish?
- One pot! Yassss!
- Easy to find, cheap ingredients.
- It is incredibly tasty and you may have to have seconds.
- Makes enough to feed a crowd.
- Really anything with chips and cheese on top is the best.
Vegan Tinga Tortilla Rice Bake
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Yellow onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Pound(16oz.) Vegan ground beef, I used Beyond Beef*
- 1 Can(15oz.) Black beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Chipotle in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Adobo sauce from the can, optional**
- 1 Can(15oz) Canned tomato sauce (tomato puree not ketchup)
- 1 Can(15oz.) Diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Long grain rice
- 2 Cups Tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegan cheese, cheddar style***
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Toppings of choice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees(F).
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high. Add the onions and garlic. Then add the vegan beef. Break apart into crumbles with a spatula or wooden spoon. Sauté, reducing heat as needed, until the vegan beef is browned. 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the black beans, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, chipotles and adobo sauce if adding. Stir to combine. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Next add the water and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low so it is just at a simmer.
- Now, stir in the rice. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes so the rice is nearly cooked through. It should be pretty soft, but not all the way. Stir, taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Now, sprinkle half the vegan cheese on top, then lay the tortilla chips on top of that, pressing them down slightly and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the vegan cheese has melted and the top is brown. The rice should be completely cooked now.
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.