Have you ever had that really bad for you but oh so good Mall Chinese food? That was my jam when I was a kid. I looked forward to going to the mall just because I knew I could talk my parents into getting me Mall Chinese food. I didn’t care about clothes or toys or any of the other things I think other children look forward to. Just the food. I guess this was a good indication of where I was headed in life. My favorite was the teriyaki chicken. I’m sure it was a super gross and processed sauce, but I loved it! These vegan Teriyaki tofu tacos are a grownup more refined and healthier version of everything I loved about mall food!
I love Asian fusion tacos, I don’t know if this is over played, but I think the combination of Asian and Hispanic flavors are a natural, and I love it so much! These Teriyaki tofu tacos coupled with roasted pineapple salsa are hands down in the top five tacos I have ever had. It is hard to decided if they are number one, since i love tacos more than life!
This is a super easy recipe, you just make the sauce which is impossible to mess up. Dry the tofu for a bit. Throw the salsa all together, bake the tofu, toss with the sauce and you are ready to eat! This is the perfect taco Tuesday dish or weekend awesomeness dish!
Have you ever roasted or grilled your pineapple? It is amazing! It brings all the juices out and you can get the outside nice and caramelized. I love it. I thought roasting it for this recipe would be a good way to go, so you can make this quickly during the week, and don’t have to fire up the grill. However, if you are in the mood for grilling, by all means do that. I just like to throw out options to make things a little easier. Life is already hard enough. These tacos will ease the pain though!
Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Tacos with Roasted Pineapple Salsa are perfect in every way. You won’t be able to eat just one. I promise. I hope you enjoy, and as always, have fun!
Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Tacos with Roasted Pineapple Salsa
Roasted Pineapple Salsa
- 1 1/2 C. Pineapple
- 1/4 C. Red onion,chopped
- 1/4 C. Cilantro,chopped
- 1/2 a Jalapeno,diced
For the tacos
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- Chives and sriracha(optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Roast the pineapple first. Cut the pineapple into strips. I used three large strips of pineapple. Place on a sheet pan sprayed with non stick spray. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the pineapple is nice and juicy and getting brown.
- While the pineapple is in the oven, cut the tofu into small strips and then press between paper towels to dry out a bit. Let sit.
- Once the pineapple is finished, take out of the oven, and let cool for a minute while you start baking the tofu. Place the tofu on a baking sheet sprayed with non stick spray. Spray the tops of the tofu with more non stick spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 20-30 minutes until nice and brown and firm.
- While the tofu is baking, make the Teriyaki sauce. In a small sauce pan, combine all the ingredients for the sauce except the corn starch and cold water. Whisk and heat on medium until the sugar has dissolved. In a separate small bowl, mix together the corn starch and cold water. Whisk until corn starch dissolves. Then pour the corn starch slurry into the sauce pan with the other ingredients. Whisk the sauce to combine the cornstarch. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes or so until the sauce has thickened. Set aside and let cool a bit.
- Then make the salsa, by chopping the pineapple, then mixing with all the salsa ingredients in a bowl.
- Once the tofu is done baking, toss the tofu in the Teriyaki sauce. Put together the tacos with a warmed tortilla, a few strips of tofu and top with the pineapple salsa. You can add more Teriyaki sauce on top as well. Add sriracha or chives if you like! Enjoy!