Have you heard of chicken Lazone? The origin of the dish seems to be a New Orleans restaurant. It is spicy Cajun style chicken, pan fried and served with a spicy cream sauce. It was something I loved when I was a kid, and so of course I decided to make a vegan version. This vegan tempeh Lazone delivers! It is so perfect, so flavorful and so fast to put together. Steaming the tempeh, then tossing it in a dry rub, baking and then simmering in the Cajun cream sauce creates the most epic tempeh ever!
I know a lot of people who don’t love tempeh, or are even reluctant to try it because they don’t know how to make it taste great. Well, give this vegan tempeh Lazone a try and you will never look at tempeh the same way again! This method of cooking it makes it so tender and yummy. The Lazone sauce is to die for and imparts even more flavor.
I love to serve this tempeh and sauce over pasta. I think it is the best option, but you can use gluten-free pasta to make this whole meal gluten free. It is also really delicious with steamed veggies or roasted root veggies.
This recipe uses really basic ingredients, most of which you may already have in your pantry. I know I usually do! Most of the time, if I am trying to figure out what to make mostly with just the stuff I can see hiding in the back of my pantry, I make this Tempeh! I keep tempeh in my fridge most of the time, and I generally have a can of coconut cream in the pantry. The rest is mostly spices. Just throw everything together and you have a cheap, easy, hearty and insanely yummy meal!
Vegan Tempeh Lazone
- 16 ounces(usually 2 blocks) Tempeh
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
For The Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Can(13-14oz) Coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- Pinch of Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, you want to steam the tempeh. Cut the blocks of tempeh into triangles. Then place in the basket of a steamer, add about an inch of water into the steamer pan, and steam for about 10 minutes on medium. The tempeh should feel a bit softer.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F)
- Then add the tempeh to a large bowl, drizzle the olive oil on to the tempeh and toss to coat it all evenly.
- Then either in a large ziploc bag, or a large mixing bowl, stir together the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, oregano and salt. Then toss the tempeh in the spices to coat completely.
- Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray, then place the tempeh onto the sheet pan. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the tempeh is brown and has a nice crust.
- While the tempeh is baking, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil on medium high in a large non-stick skillet. Then add the garlic and onions.
- Saute the garlic and onions for about 5 minutes, reducing heat as needed, or until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the coconut cream, vegetable broth, smoked paprika, cayenne and a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat on medium and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, the sauce will thicken up. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Once the tempeh is done, add the tempeh to the skillet with the sauce, and scoop some sauce over the tempeh. Let the tempeh cook in the sauce for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with pasta if desired.