Vegan spicy chicken sandwiches for all!
Man oh man! I loved fast food spicy chicken sandwiches when I was a kid. Any kind of crispy chicken in sandwich form was my go to when we headed to the drive through. These vegan spicy chicken sandwiches are an ode to my youthful cravings. Spicy white bean “chicken” patties crusted in spicy bread crumbs, layered with spicy mayo and vegan pepper jack cheese. This is real, I promise.
These “chicken” patties are made with vital wheat gluten which may intimidate some people, but I promise, they could not be any easier. Simply mash the beans, and stir with the remaining ingredients. Knead with your hands for a minute. Form into patties and coat with bread crumbs, bake and enjoy, and you will enjoy!
Let’s talk about vital wheat gluten:
- Made from the protein of wheat, vital wheat gluten it’s magic.
- It can turn any simple ingredients into a very meaty substitute.
- It is now easier than ever to find, many companies make bags of it, and many stores sell it in bulk!
- Once you master it, you will be using it all the time!
Let’s talk about vegan pepper jack cheese:
- For this recipe, I used Follow Your Heart Vegan pepper jack cheese. It’s amazing and melts well.
- There are a few other brands that make vegan pepper jack.
- There are a bunch of really great recipes for vegan pepper jack if you want to make your own!
I don’t think it gets any better than these vegan spicy chicken sandwiches. This recipe makes 4 sandwiches, so I like to make them on a Sunday and have lunches for a few days. They reheat really well and I’m totally in love. It’s a good day when I get to sink my teeth into one of these bad boys for lunch or dinner. Or breakfast or dessert, ya know, whatever floats your boat!
Crispy, spicy vegan "chicken" patties, layered with spicy mayo and vegan pepper jack cheese.
- 1 Can(15oz.) Cannellini Beans
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chili paste or sriracha
- 1 Cup Vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 +1/2 Cup Panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Cup Plain bread crumbs, vegan
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/3 Cup Vegan mayo, I used Hellman's
- 2 teaspoons Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 4 Hamburger Buns, vegan
- 4 Slices Vegan pepper jack cheese, I used Follow your Heart
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
Drain the beans, and add them to a large mixing bowl. Mash the beans with a fork or potato masher until all the beans are mashed.
Now, add the olive oil, vegetable broth, soy sauce and chili paste or sriracha to the bowl with the beans. Then stir to fully combine.
Next, pour the vital wheat gluten, the 1/3 cup of panko, salt and cayenne to the bowl.
Stir to combine, then begin to knead with your hands until the mixture forms a nice ball that isn't sticky and holds together well.
Now in a separate bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of panko, the plain bread crumbs, the red pepper flakes and the chili powder.
Then, divided the "chicken" mixture into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a large ball, then put one of the balls into the bowl with the bread crumb mixture and press down to flatten out and coat in the bread crumbs. Flip and coat the other side making sure you now have a flat patty.
Place the patty on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray and repeat with the remaining "chicken" patty mixture.
Spray the tops of the patties with more non-stick spray. Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for 15 more minutes or until the patties are nice and brown and firm.
Now, make the spicy mayo while the patties bake. Just whisk together the vegan mayo and hot sauce and set aside.
Once the patties are done, you can put a piece of vegan pepper jack on each patty and bake for a few more minutes to melt the vegan cheese, or you can just place a piece on top before serving.
When ready, spread some vegan spicy mayo on the bottom of a bun, then the "chicken" patty, then the vegan pepper jack, then some lettuce then some more vegan spicy mayo on the top bun and put that on top. Enjoy!